We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

My friends and I want to go to the following places:

Barcelona

san sebastian

Seville

Granada

Lisbon

We have 12 days in total and are trying to avoid long trips in between. Please advise which way is the best method. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please I don't want comments, rather advise on how to go on abouts this.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

If you had much more time you could travel:

Barcelona to Granada fly www.vueling.com

Granada to Seville train www.renfe.es

Seville to Lisbon fly www.spanair.com

Lisbon to Bilabo train www.cp.pt

Bilbao to San Sebastian bus www.alsa.es

Bilbao to Barcelona www.vueling.com

With only twelve days I would suggest you reduce your itinerary, to enjoy Spain

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

Barcelona to Granada fly www.vueling.com

www.andalucia.com/cities/granada.htm

Granada to Seville train www.renfe.es

www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm

Seville to Barcelona www.vueling.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 05 July 2010, 06:18
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,952 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

I agree with the shorter itinerary

There is no way you can avoid a long journey to and from Lisbon unless you fly. In fact even the journeys wholly in Spain (except Seville - Granada) will take many hours unless you fly. The distances are many hundreds of kilometers.

The buses from Madrid to Lisbon take between 6 and 8 hours, the train takes even longer and there is only one train each day.

Travelling from Lisbon to San Sebastian takes 12 - 14 hours by train or bus. There is again only one train each day (through the night (leaving Lisbon around 1600hrs) or long and tedious bus journeys via Madrid.

I would definitely omit Lisbon from the itinerary unless you can find very cheap flights. You will otherwise lose almost two whole days travelling unless you are prepared to travel overnight to and from Lisbon. I can assure you that an 8 hour overnight bus journey is not agreeable. the cost of travelling overnight by the 'hotel' train is obviously much more than on the bus.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

'Please I don't want comments, rather advise on how to go on abouts this.'

There are drugs which will keep you 'on the go' and help you sleep when you are doing all this travelling, but I would not recommend.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,387 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

You do not say if you are flying in/out same airport, or whether this is important. For example Barcelona and Lisbon are furthest distance - about 2 hours flying time - and if you could fly into Barcelona and out of Lisbon then it may change the plan.

In any event I would start by looking at internal budget airlines in Spain such as :

www.vueling.com

www.ryanair.com

and others like

www.iberia.com

www.spanair.com

and also use www.skyscanner.net to see best prices for day of travel.

For example you could fly direct from Barcelona to Lisbon using maybe Vueling or even TAP (national airline of Portugal) http://www.flytap.com

From Lisbon you should get to Andalucia for Seville & Granada. One of the ways to do this is to use a bus from Lisbon to Seville. There are forum threads about this. There is a TAP flight but maybe too expensive ?

For the bus thread look at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187443-i284-k3725…

getting over to Granada is either a bus or train taking 3 hours.

Getting from Granada to San Sebastian is the tricky part unless you go via Madrid by plane I think. Easy to take a plane from Granada to Barcelona by the way.

An alternative which may suit is to get from Granada to Cordoba by bus or train and then go on the fast AVE from Cordoba to Zaragoza (about 3 hours) then Zaragoza to San Sebastian again over 3 hours by train. useful if you can add Cordoba into the whistle stop itinerary.

By the way, San Sebastian airport is not very close to the city - about 30 minutes away -whereas the train arrives in the city.

You can look at direct rail routes using www.renfe.es or for indirect routings in Europe use: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

Thanks for the suggestions. How many days would do you think you need Barcelona, San sebastian, Seville, Granada and Lisbon?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

minimum of three for Barcelona and Seville I would say, two for Granada, haven't been to the others.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

My personal MINIMUMS for these cities would be:

Barcelona: 4 days

San Sebastian: 3 days (allowing for one daytrip)

Sevilla: 3 days (no daytrips)

Granada: 2 days

Lisbon: 3 days

This does not take into account travel time and the fact you may not have full days.

Even with 0 travel time this is a trip that needs a minimum of 15 days - and that is without even getting to explore the nearby areas for daytrips.. I woluldn't attempt to do this in 12 days.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

Dropping San Sebastian would make your itinerary so much easier.

Day 1-3 Barcelona

Day 4 Fly to Granada (not sure if this is direct or via Madrid)

Day 5 & 6 Granada, with evening bus ride to Seville

Days 7-9 Seville

Day 10 early bus ride to Lisbon, leaving you with almost two days there.

I'm sure that people on the Barcelona forum could recommend a pretty coastal town within an hour or so travelling to replace San Sebastian as a day trip.

Lisbon is the only place I haven't visited on your list. Of the others -

Barcelona = loads (and I mean loads) to do in a big, cosmopolitan city. Some beaches etc.

Granada = the Alhambra is stunning and takes the best part of a day. The old area is worth a wander, but there is little else there.

Seville = worth staying a while to soak up the atmosphere. The tourist sights are not as "big" as Barcelona, but there is a hidden gem around every corner - you could wander around for weeks and still be finding new things. The best for tapas and - arguably - shopping, since while Barcelona has more, it's huge and the clothes/tourist shops are more spread out.

9. Re: Please Help, my friends have 12 days to explore Spain/Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 08:26