We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique my Spain Itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Please critique my Spain Itinerary

Hello everyone,

With apologies for such a detailed itinerary and a long post we are asking to please critique our plans to visit Spain from US. Any comments/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Except for air travel, none of the dates are finalized and places to visit/ stay overnight as well as duration could be changed.

As independent travelers we like to see touristy sights, museums, castles, country sites as well as off-beat places and interact with locals.

During our first visit to this part of Spain (toured Barcelona/Catalonia area last year) would like to see bullfighting, flamenco music and/or dancing, any locaql festivals/celebrations.

Also, if there are special events in some towns, perhaps we should change the order. Planning on getting rental car in Madrid, parking rental in Grenada and Seville for duration of the stay there. Driving around should not be a problem as we are used to small European streets and mountains (originally from Europe). Please critique as much as possible and make suggestion for changes and hotels – preferable smaller boutique type.

In Granada, thinking of staying in El Numero 8.

We are on moderate budget and looking forward to our trip October 8 thru October 25.

Thank you in advance for everyone’s advice.

10/8-10/11 Friday-Sunday Madrid ‎ 3 nights

Madrid ‎-Ávila about 2-3 hours in Ávila ‎

10/11-10/12 Mon eve/Tues Segovia 1 night

10/12-10/13 Tues eve/Wed Toledo ‎ 1 night

10/13-10/14 Wed eve/Thusr Cordova ‎ 1 night

10/14-10/16 Thurs/Friday/Sat Granada 2 nights

10/16-10/20 Sat thru Wed am Malaga ‎ 4 nights

10/20-10/23 Wed pm thru Sat am Seville ‎ 3 nights

10/23 Sat Caceres

10/23-10/25 Sat thru Mon am Madrid ‎ 2 nights

Flight back to US in the morning

Sevilla Free Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Heart of Sevilla Free Tours
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Spain Day Tours
Private Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Magic of Seville Private Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

My only comment is that within Madrid and going to Toledo you really could rely on public transport. You can stay in Toledo but it is easily reached by the 30 mins AVANT train or the longer bus. Similarly you can explore Segovia using the train or bus - I think bus is best - La Sepulvedena.

So if you hire a car from Madrid to go to Avila and then proceed to Caceres through Extremadura you could explore other places on this route. Trujillo and Merida spring to mind. The land of the Romans and the Conquistadores ! Before hitting Seville.

Of course in Seville you don't really need any car and in fact you could be paying €15 per day just to park it safely. So think about returning the car in Seville on arrival or soon after ? Then consider taking the excellent train around Andalucia or the various buses. Travel light !

If you stick with a car, then perhaps just use the train to visit Cordoba for the day. AVANT is a great train and only about 45 minutes from Seville Santa Justa station. (Actually if you can return the car in Cordoba you could stay the night here THEN move to Seville on the train. Look on Google Maps for the route from Merida to Cordoba)

Then once you have completed Seville you can use the car for the journeys within Andalucia. Exploring the inland areas like Ronda and Pueblos Blancos and the coast before turning in the car again once you return from Granada to Madrid ?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

I believe one way hires are very expensive, it might be cheaper to pay for parking in places like Seville and keeping the car.

We had three weeks driving around Andalucia, great roads, and it is nice to have the freedom to go where you like.

Have a great trip!

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

10/8-10/11 Friday-Sunday Madrid ‎ 3 nights

Madrid ‎-Ávila about 2-3 hours in Ávila ‎

10/11-10/12 Mon eve/Tues Segovia 1 night

10/12-10/13 Tues eve/Wed Toledo ‎ 1 night

10/13-10/14 Wed eve/Thusr Cordova ‎ 1 night

10/14-10/16 Thurs/Friday/Sat Granada 2 nights

10/16-10/20 Sat thru Wed am Malaga ‎ 4 nights

10/20-10/23 Wed pm thru Sat am Seville ‎ 3 nights

10/23 Sat Caceres

I think you've chosen the right places, but it all seems a little random to me!

I would do:

Friday-Wed in Madrid, with day trips to Segovia and Toledo by train.

Wed-Sat Drive to Seville, via Avila, Cacares and the other places suggested (Trujillo, Merida)

Sat-Wed Seville, with a day trip by train to Cordoba.

Wed-Sun am Malaga and Granada. Consider basing yourself in the Alpujarras, a rural area south of Granada, from which you can drive to Granada or Malaga in about 45 minutes.

Drive back to Madrid Sun pm.

This has the advantage of being a straightforward loop from Madrid-Seville-Malaga/Granada-Madrid. You don't need the car until you leave Madrid. I'm also not sure why Malaga merits more days than anywhere else - it's a pleasant town, but probably won't be the highlight of your visit.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

I would take two nights off of Malaga and add them to Seville.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

Thank you all for commenting.

So far made following changes:

10/8-10/12 -4 nights Friday- Tuesday- Madrid with a day trip to Toledo on Monday.

10/12 Tuesday pick up rental, drive to Avila for half a day, then to Segovia.

10/12-10/14 -2 nights in Segovia. Leave early on Thursday 10/14 for Andalusia.

10/14- 10/16 - 2 nightsThursday evening thru Saturday in Granada. Brief visit to Alahambra on Thursday night, then on detailed on Friday.

10/16 Saturday - leave in the morning for Malaga.

10/16-10/20- 4 nights Saturday thru Wednesday morning -Malaga with day trips along the coast, perhaps to Gibralta and Ronda, possibly to Cordoba.

10/20-10/23- 3 nights Seville with a day trip to Cordoba if did not go from Malaga.

10/23 - Leave Seville early and head towards Madrid with half a day stop in Caseres.

10/23-10/25- 2 nights- Saturday thru Monday, with a day trip to Escorial on Sunday.

The main reason for renting a car is that it would give us much better flexibility for day trips, as we like to go on long drives and explore less touristy places as well as "must see" places.

I am not clear why recomendations are to start with Caseres/ Seville and make a circle in that direction. Does that make more sence based on the days of the week? Is anything besides stores will be closed on Sunday?

Really wanted to stay in Granada to see Alahambra at night as well as in a daytime.

Also, we were hoping to see a bullfight, but can not find any schedules on the web and thought we might have a better chance driving to whatever place from Malaga. Is there a way to find out?

Should we allow a day for Escorial from Madrid or stay extra day in Seville?

Another question: given we will be there after holiday season, do we need hotel reservations besides Madrid and Granada?

Being able to stop for a night somewhere small and local would present another big plus.

Thanks again everyone. All comments are very helpfull.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

forgot to ask; which towns are in Alpujarras...It does not come up on google

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

I suggested the circle via Seville first just because it seemed sensible to include Avila in the same section of the tour as Caceres to save returning to Madrid once you have headed west. It does work with Segovia as you suggest.

I definitely agree with you using a car once you have left Madrid.

There is some info about the Alpujarras here.

http://www.rusticblue.com/las_alpujarras.htm

Lanjaron is a small town on the Western side which isn't too far from the main roads to Granada and Malaga. It would be a good base for you staying "somewhere local". You could also look at staying in Trujillo when you visit Caceres. Trujillo is one of my favourite towns in Spain, and it is right beside the main Seville-Madrid route you will follow, about 45 minutes from Caceres. http://www.trujilloespana.com/index.asp

Why not do El Escorial for a half day instead of Avila on the way to Segovia (Tues 10/12), and then Avila on the way back from Caceres (10/23)?

If you are dropping a day in Andalucia for El Escorial, I would still suggest you lose it from Malaga, not Seville.

Ronda could be visited on the journey from Malaga to Seville. Cordoba is best done by train from Seville, where the journey time is only about 40 minutes on the AVE.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

Thank you so much for your help.

andalucia
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

Local feria's are nearly always accompanied by a series of bullfights - assuming the town has a bullring.

Search for Andalucian Ferias and see if any are convenient for your trip.

andalucia
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please critique my Spain Itinerary

These are the October Ferias I've found.

Fuengirola

From 6th to 12th of October

Jaen

From 13th to 19th of October.

San Pedro

From 14th to 19th of October

Not sure which will fit in with your visit, would suspect they all have a bullring.