We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Seville

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Seville

I hope this isn't too similar to other posts but I can't seem to get to the bottom of it.

We are beginning our trip of Southern Spain in Seville and ending with 4 days in Madrid in July. Here is our dilemma:

Flights from Toronto to Seville involve lengthly lay-overs and we are wondering if we should fly directly to Madrid and take the next AVE train to Seville (same day)? Do we need to reserve seats on the train or can we just hop on the next train?

We have looked on the website and the answer doesn't seem clear.

Other options include going to Malaga (maybe spending the night) and taking a 3 hour train to Seville.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Seville

Kara2007,

' we are wondering if we should fly directly to Madrid and take the next AVE train to Seville (same day)? Do we need to reserve seats on the train or can we just hop on the next train?' - The answer to whether you will be able to travel on the next train is a definite maybe. Who can tell how many from Toronto or locals who know to book ahead for discount will want your journey. With twenty trains a day though you are in a with a shout.

'Other options include going to Malaga (maybe spending the night) and taking a 3 hour train to Seville.' - Whilst you do not say where this trip is to elsewhere in 'Southern Spain', are you quite sure you need to go to Seville first from Malaga on the route and not last on the way back to Madrid?

Best wishes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Seville

So it sounds like we are best to reserve a seat.

Thanks for your assistance.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Seville

AVE trains to Sevilla depart Madrid Atocha station hourly and all seats are reserved.

Allow 45-minutes for travel from the airport to Atocha station. You can buy ticket(s) for the next available train at the station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,523 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Seville

doug - that's a bland statement you just made. ;-) I recall landing at Barajas once with the intention of buying my Seville AVE ticket to ride at the RENFE office in the airport only to be told that there were no seats available that day nor the next. Well OK I forgot it was Semana Santa LOL

And transiting from Barajas to Atocha station can be 45 mins but depends on factors ! The new direct bus service between Atocha and the airport takes apparently 40 minutes in 'normal traffic conditions'

emtmadrid.es/web_emt_babel/files/38/38251d83…

And the taxi may take less than 40 minutes but certainly allow flexibility.

The benefit of booking in advance up to 62 days before day of travel is that you can buy cheaper tickets on many trains. For example I am seeing €33.30 on several trains now for travel at end February.

Oh and by the way. The slow train from Malaga to Seville takes around 2 hrs 30 mins but the faster service - AVANT- takes around 2 hours.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Seville

Cadiz_lover has given good advice. If you can fly into Madrid much easier than Seville then I would purchase the AVE tickets in advance using the web deep discounts. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to clear immigration/customs and get to the train station.

Alternatively if you can fly into Malaga as easy as Madrid then you may consider flyiing into Malaga and spending a couple of days then taking the train to Seville.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Seville

This is the information I was really looking for. Now we know we must book in advance regardless of Madrid or Malaga.

Thank you for your guidance.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Seville

Kara2007,

Please read at least this for train travel -

http://tiny.cc/doewu

to assist with purchase and if you want your money to go further and this if necessary -

http://tiny.cc/orcny

Edited: 01 January 2011, 19:57
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Seville

My son flew from Chicago to Madrid and was bummed he'd have a 4 hour layover before going on to Rome. His flight out of Chicago (last July) as delayed by at least 2 hours. The 4 hours layover was just what he needed. We are going to Seville in March from Chicago and I had the option of choosing 1 hour or 4 hour layover in Madrid: I went with 4 hours.

Maybe your flights will all be on time but just be aware of what can happen.

Edited: 02 January 2011, 01:30
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,506 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Seville

Kara:

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

10. Re: Getting to Seville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 05:21