We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Hamilton, NJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

I have only 3 days to spend in Andulusia: I'm taking the early train from Madrid on May 19th and flying out of Granada early May 22nd. I planned on:

stopping in Cordoba for half a dayto see the mezquita

continueing onto Seville

spending 2 nights in Seville (flamenco, Alcazar, cathedral)

Spending 1 day and night in Granada to see the Alhambra

If this too hectic a schedule?

Unfortunately 3 days is all I have.

Thanks for any advice

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,767 posts
3,727 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

bobbyd:

It is hectic but many people do it.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

I know that lots of people will be along to say it can't be done ... but if it is your only chance to see these sights then maybe that's right for you.

The plan for travelling via Cordoba to Seville sounds quite sensible.

Granada in a day just to do the Alhambra sounds OK. I am assuming you are setting off very early for Granada.

My issue is whether 1 day in Seville is enough. Seville is quite different in that there isn't one *big* sight to see, but rather it's about the charm of the whole place, the narrow streets, tapas bars etc. It is difficult to plan for this - it just "happens".

My experience with the Mezquita - others will disagree - is that it is breathtakingly beautiful when you walk in. You spend 10 minutes thinking "wow this is amazing" and then start thinking ... now what? Unless you are into catholic statues, there isn't much else there - you can't wander from room to room seeing different things - it is one huge (amazing) space.

Personally, I would drop the Mezquita and head straight to Seville, giving you the best part of two days there. That way, you will be able to roam around and find the hidden gems, and include a couple of specific activities (with limited time, I would head to the top of the Giralda but miss the rest of the cathedral; do the Alcazar; and take a 1 hour boat trip on the river).

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

I agree with Russell on this one, we were at The Mezquita about a hour and said whats next,( here comes the hate mail) but my opinion. Stay in Seville that day, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

Oh Hubie you're going to get hammered for having an opinion! Yes the schedule is way hectic but if it's all you have to work with you'll still have a great trip. Make your Alhambra reservations in advance and bring the credit card you booked with.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice

http://www.catedraldecordoba.es/index.asp

;)

No hammer. At all. =)

Edited: 09 March 2011, 17:01
ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice

And, by the way,

unless someone is telling a lie (in that case, truth could be used as a 'weapon' to clarify and destroy lies), everyone is (or at least should be) allowed to have an opinion.

It is sad to know that some travellers find the Mezquita not as surprising as they thought, but it is much sadder if someone is 'attacked' for having a different opinion.

This things drive me a bit crazy...

Edited: 09 March 2011, 17:12
ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice

And some 'gelato' for my dear Hubie... LOL

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,604 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice

The Mezquita is a fascinating building made more so after a good study of the history of Cordoba. I first visited the place as a school boy during a hot day in the summer and was so relieved to wander around through all those many pillars and stay cool. I have revisited a few times and have found new parts that I missed or spent time studying the way the outer walls have been shaped. Unique.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice

Some gelato, l think l keep them in business everytime l go to Spain, can't get enough of that stuff. Hubie

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice

Hubie,

if so, let's begin to call it 'helado', in Spanish.

Could you recommend us a 'heladeria'? Which is your favourite one? And your flavour?

I love this one in Seville:

http://www.freskura.com/Inicio.html

And of course, 'Rayas' in Apodaca st.