We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

My husband and I will be in Spain from Dec 24 through Jan 16 and need help setting up an the itinerary.

Dec 24 through the 29 we'll be in Madrid. After that, we were thinking of visiting Andalucia (Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, side trip to Ronda and Arcos?). We will also like to visit Toledo and Segovia; we might be able to visit one of the two during our stay in Madrid (family commitments from 24 - 29) but likely the other one will have to be after the 29th.

Part of the difficulty is planning around the holidays (12/25, 1/1, 1/6) and trying to decide which way to head first and how much time to a lot for each city/area.

We are thinking of using the trains with an occasional car rental when it would make more sense.

If time allows, we could also visit Cuenca (and maybe Valencia?) or Avila and Salamanca? If Avila and Salamance would it make better sense to visit these after Segovia? Should we have a car then?

Any suggestions and help putting some sort of plan together would be very helpful!

Note: I have been to all theses places but my husband has only been to Madrid (El Escorial), and Barcelona.

I am also posting this on the forum of other cities.

Thanks!

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

For Sevilla I woud take 3 or 4 days because it is really lovely. Granada 2 days and Cordoba 1 of 2 days. Travel between these 3 cities is easy by bus or train.

From which airport are you flying home?

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
521 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

I would approach it in the following way. It leaves out Cuenca/Valencia (which are a bit out on a limb from your other destinations), but since it creates a loop from and to Madrid could also include Trujillo & Caceres in Extremadura which are amazing towns.

30th-2nd - remain in Madrid, taking day trips to Segovia & Toledo.

2nd - Drive to Avila & spend two days here.

3rd - evening - drive to Trujillo.

4th & 5th - Trujillo & Caceres.

6th - Drive to Sevilla, calling in at the Roman remains of Merida on the way.

7th - day tour of Arcos & Ronda by car. Return car that evening.

8th-12th Sevilla, with a day trip to Cordoba by train.

13th train or bus to Granada.

14th/15th - Granada

16th return to Madrid.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

We are flying in and out of Madrid beccause it was the best use of reward points.

I think we will do a day trip to Segovia by train while we are in Madrid (Dec 26 or 27) and forget about Avila and Salamanca.

On the 29th in the afternoon possibly head to Toledo by train, spend Dec. 30 and 31st there and head back to Madrid on Jan 1st connecting to the AVE for Sevilla...

While in Sevilla (3-4 nights?) rent a car to visit Arcos, and another day Ronda.... Then train to Granada (2-3 nights?), train to Cordoba (1 night?) and train back to Madrid....

Depending on time, train to Cuenca for an overnight in the parador and continue to Valencia (2 mights?) and then train back to Madrid... Not sure about Valencia.... Should we try to make it there?

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
521 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

What is the particular attraction for Cuenca & Valencia?

Valencia is a fairly ordinary Spanish city - a typical Spanish cathedral and some modern architecture. Personally, I would find it a bit of a let down after Seville & Granada - I can't think of anything there that you wouldn't be able to see elsewhere on your trip, and especially so if the weather is bad. I don't know Cuenca.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,968 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

......"While in Sevilla (3-4 nights?) rent a car to visit Arcos, and another day Ronda.... Then train to Granada (2-3 nights?), train to Cordoba (1 night?) and train back to Madrid.... "

Arcos is south of Seville and is easily reached by the nice LOS AMARILLOS bus service from Prado de San Sebastian bus terminal in Seville. The journey takes about 2 hours and costs around Euros 8 maximum.

Most days a bus leaves Seville at 09.30 and you will be in Arcos at 11.30.

Or there is a later bus in the evening.

The Parador at Arcos is nice.

You can take a TG COMES bus from Arcos at around 10.30 headed for Ronda and travelling through the Sierra and be in Ronda by 12.15 (later times at weekends) - see: http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_16.htm Cost is about Euros 10 maximum from memory.

You can take a train from Ronda to Granada - see www.renfe.com

These alternatives by public transport give you some other options to consider.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

Ilittlerussell, I've been to Valencia and it is a nice city butnot sure if I would make a point to get there on this trip unless I have time to spare.... I have never been to Cuienca but it sounds like a nice and picturesque place and easy trip from Madrid.... We will be in Spain a total of 23 full days. The first 6 days are in Madrid with a side one day trip to Segovia. After that I am tryiong to make the best and most relaxing use of the time we have.

7. Re: Itinerary Help - 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 10:20