We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best option for a GPS in spain

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
787 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Best option for a GPS in spain

We will be driving around Spain for three weeks this summer. We would like to have a GPS device, but car rental companies charge a ton of money. In the United States I own a GPS, but it obviously doesn't have maps of Spain. I believe I have the option of downloading a Spanish map, but would it work if I brought it from the USA to Spain. Are the car chargers the same? Is this my best option? Many thanks in advance.

Oliver

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

All cars have 12 volts.

There are rules for using GPS like the driver must not operate the GPS whist moving and the location of the screen for the GPS must be placed so it does not obscure visibility for the driver.

GPS are not a lot of good if you wish to take country roads. So take a map for back up and ensure you know how to add coordinates to the unit in case you need to.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

As already said, GPS tend to take you up dead end country lanes here in Spain - OK in cities. A good map is a necessary addition to GPS.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

maybe another option could be to buy a cheap GPS with just the map of Spain (ok, they usually include as well Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar) and use it for the time you are going to be there.

it will costs about 60 or 70 euros in any electronics shop (maybe cheaper than buying the maps for your GPS, and for sure cheaper than the daily rate for GPS in a car rental)

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
787 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

It seems after reading the posts, that a GPS would be a waste of money. Has anyone found them to quite helpful when driving throughout Spain. Specifically will be travelling mostly in Andalucia. Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

It could be useful while in cities, but as long as you go out I find everything pretty well signaled. Maybe it is better to take a good road map (you can get a good one in any petrol/gas station in Spain) and also print beforehand your trips using www.viamichelin.com or google maps or any of those.

kuwait
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

Hey oliverlevitt,

How was your trip? and what did you do with the GPS? did you buy one from Spain? if yes . what brand and how much dos it costs you ?

i am going there in the Christmas for a road trip as well, more details will help though. Many thanks in advance.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
970 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

Careless00045

I use a Tom Tom One, western Eu system. Works very welll in Spain.

I Find most above comments redundant.:-

of course you don't mess with the settings while driving along. set it before you start drtiving.

Of course you must not obscure your view!!"!" Seriously who would do that??

Most people that can't get on with these GPS systems are running old maps that they have not updated on the internet for years.

By all means use the net to plan a route but ....again redundant..... do not unfurl a printed map/ directions accross the wheel while driving !!!!

If you don't have a map reading front passenger a printed map is many stops and hard work.

Most people on here that can't get on with a GPS system have not plugged it into the internet for up to date maps and have not connected the GPS to a live update phone/ internet system.that gives real time traffic info. How can they then know if it works to its full potential or not.

Of course a GPS system if properly used is far better than a paper map and prices have come down far recently making a system very affordable . I could not do without mine now. You can buy a system anywhere in the world and just download additional maps for it for anywhere you may be

traveling.

Areed that most are 12v systems and all cars are 12v systems also but some cars are not compatable if positive or negative earths apply, check that the system suits the particular vehicle, some older cars it may not .

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

I bought a new GPS in Eroski in Chiclana de la Frontera last July. The one my husband had at home, we realised the night before we flew there was a bit missing from where it plugs into the 12v supply in the car, still haven't found the bit. Apparently it was my fault the bit was missing since I was the 'last' person to use it when my boys and I traveled to Newcastle to the football. We can do the journey from Gibraltar to Chiclana standing on our heads so decided to wait until Chiclana to buy a new one.

The one I purchased in Eroski was a TomTom and it was very good in the provinces of Cádiz, Málaga and Sevilla it cost €76. I do however always carry a map of Andalucía which I purchased from www.stanfords.co.uk

Of the six weeks a year I spend in Cádiz my husband is only there for two of them so I need to be sure that I can find my way about and back to where I came from.

Saludos. Lindsay

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

I guess i will just use me smart phone GPS, i have Sygic, and it works offline , and its totally free. Whats up with that ?

kuwait
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best option for a GPS in spain

I guess i will just use me smart phone GPS, i have Sygic, and it works offline , and its totally free. Whats up with that ?