We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona to Seville

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona to Seville

Hi all, I would love your advice on where to stop over for a night during our car journey from Barcelona to Seville.

We are spending 9 days in Spain, 2 in Barcelona on the front end and 2 in Madrid on the back end, which leaves us with 5 days (4 including the travel day spent driving from Barcelona to Seville?) and we're not sure how to spend it. I am thinking one night in a coastal town on our way to Seville is wise? and an all day detour in Granada?

Or do we try and spend two nights in Granada and two in Seville? Thank you :).

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona to Seville

the first thing that comes to my mind is: why private car? From Seville to Barcelona you may be better off using plane or even AVE train.

Car drive from Seville to Barcelona is about 11 hours in the shortest possible way (i.e. not passing by close to any coastal town). If you split it in two, the most logical place to stop is Madrid, somewhat in between the two cities.

A flight will take about 1 hour, a train will take about 5h30m. If you flight or take the train you will have time for a night out in Granada, for example (3 nights in Seville, 1 in Granada, and then back to Madrid)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona to Seville

If it was me I would not spend minimum 9 hours on the road between Barcelona and Granada in your time frame. You would be better to fly. Or have you considered the very comfortable train from Barcelona to Cordoba and Seville ? It takes about 4 1/2 hours to Cordoba and you have some sights and most importantly comfort. Cost wise have you considered the amount of fuel you will use on the drive ? The hassles of driving in new territory?

In Cordoba (if that is your stop) you can visit the mighty Mezquita / Cathedral which is one of the most emblematic buildings remaining from the Moorish days. You can proceed to Seville in under one hour by the train if you want or stay overnight. But if time is tight proceed and get to Seville then take the comfortable 3 hour train over to Granada. From Granada you have the choice of train to Madrid or some comfortable bus ?

You do not have any time to stop over and see more sights - if you did have more time I would recommend driving and exploring some other places apart from the main roads and service stations.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona to Seville

Morgan:

I would stop at Granada and stay 2 nights to be able to see the Alhambra. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona to Seville

I would not rent a car, it's a long boring drive. Fly Barcelona Granada it should be cheap, spend two nights there and the rest in Seville.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona to Seville

You have all been awesome! At your suggestion, we have lengthened our trip in Spain to 11 days (by cutting a few off of our week long trip to Marrakech) so that we can explore by car and visit many stops along the way. I explored the train option but it would have been $430 USD!

Any suggestions on beach towns to stay a few nights in now that we're driving?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona to Seville

I was thinking 4-5 nights in Seville and a day trip to Granada - or should we break that up and stay a night? I like the idea of a Seville 'homebase' unless nights in Granada are highly suggested. Alternatively, we could stay in Granada and daytrip to Seville.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona to Seville

Granada is 3 hours drive from Seville, so I would stay 1 night if you can fit it. 3 -4 nights in Seville and 1 in Granada (or 3 and 2) is a perfect plan

8. Re: Barcelona to Seville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 02:18