We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for surprise 30th trip

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Base for surprise 30th trip

Does it make sense to do 4 days based in Sevilla and 4 in Granada with day trips to white villages, Cordoba, etc? Owe could rent a car or take the train... Any advice on whether we should stay somewhere else too would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
berkshire, england
Level Contributor
537 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

I would do 5 in Seville and 3 in Granada as Seville has more to see and is better placed for visiting e.g. Ronda, Cordoba, Cadiz as day trips.

I wouldn't want a car in either city as parking is very difficult. You might consider 4 days Seville (inc Cordoba), 2 days driving across via white villages, and 2 days Granada, and just hire the car for the 2 days journey.

Alternatively, look at the Alpujarras as a base for Granada - lovely old villages and scenery, less than an hour's drive to do a day trip to Granada by car.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

Lov:

Hotels charge 11 euros a night for parking. There are many buses between the cities.

For trains, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

For Granada, read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

An interesting option could be

- 5 days in Seville (daytrips to Cordoba by train and Ronda by bus)

then train to Granada

-2 days in Granada (get the Alhambra tickets in advance)

then bus to

- 2 days in Malaga

Malaga is a big airport so you can take a flight back home from there or take an AVE train back to Madrid.

No need for a car (more of a hassle, really) if visiting big places. Train/bus public transport is excellent and easy to navigate. Most citycenters are walkable but you also have metro/tram/bus option if needed.

Edited: 26 November 2012, 08:16
Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Cordoba
Cordoba
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
The Alhambra
The Alhambra
33,197 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

Thanks for all the help! I am really hoping we can visit some smaller villages and skip time in Malaga (not really our style) to focus more on Sevilla/Granada and surrounding.

Does it make sense to rent a car for a day or 2 from Ronda to drive to the different smaller villages? We are OK with driving and budget isn't really an issue since it's such a short trip....

So I have this so far:

Fri: Arrive in Sevilla at 1pm - explore

Sat: Explore Sevilla

Sun: Day trip with return to Sevilla?

Mon: Sevilla?

Tue: Sevilla to Ronda

Wed: rent car for day, drive to villages, overnight Ronda

Thur: AM Ronda, bus to Granada

Fri: Granada

Sat: Alhambra/Granada

Sun: AM to Malaga, depart at 1pm for Boston

How does this sound? It's semana santa so I just want to get accommodation squared away ASAP... so I have 5 nights Sevilla, 1 Ronda, 3 Granada... which I could reduce to 4 in Sevilla, one somewhere else or 2 Ronda and 2 Granada...

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

this new itinerary that you propose is well balanced.

on Sunday, you can easily do a daytrip to Cordoba by AVANT train (45 mins each way). I would rent the car in Sevilla train station (Santa Justa) and head to Ronda on Tuesday. White villages can include Zahara de la Sierra, Ubrique, El Bosque, Arcos de la Frontera, Grazalema, etc. Then I would come back to Seville train station and drop the car on Thurs and take a train to Granada.

Notice that being Semana Santa, especially Sevilla and Granada city centers will be VERY crowded from 4pm till midnight or so, so try to get all the sightseeing in the citycenter morning/afternoon time. After 4pm you can join the crowds to watch processions or go a bit outside the city where it'll be calmer. In Seville I'd recommend a walk in Triana neighborhood and another one in Nervion neighborhood (Nervion metro stop). Also, a nice morning trip could be going to Italica Roman ruins, in Santiponce, 6kms away from Seville.

In Seville I would try to find accomodation in Triana or Nervion and not in the city center. Read the guide about Semana Santa in the Top Questions ---->

Mentioned in this post
Cordoba
Cordoba
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Arcos de la Frontera
Arcos de la Frontera
344 Reviews
Arcos de la Frontera, Spain
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
Triana
Triana
3,240 Reviews
Seville, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,196 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

I think if I was doing this trip and reading between the lines and based on your tour ideas would rent a car from leaving Seville on a one way drop ff basis with return at Malaga airport. That allows flexibility between Seville Ronda & Granada. Allows you to build in some more places if you like depending on weather and inclinations. You may want to spend only one night in Ronda and another elsewhere for example. Just makes it more flexible. Assuming you start your tour on Friday 22nd March which is the lead up to Holy Week with first procession on Sunday "Domingo de Ramos" and so on. Then you will reach Granada by Thursday afternoon before Good Friday "Viernes Santo" and would be good to check the routes and timings of the "pasos" on the web or locally for example this gave a good detail:

semanasantagranada.ideal.es/itinerarios.html

Ok it is not a good idea to have a car in Granada BUT there will always be ways of deciding on best choice of hotel AND time of arrival. However you can always return the car as soon as you reach Granada and then from Granada take a bus down to Malaga and its airport. see www.alsa.es

By the way, the best way of travel between Ronda and Granada is by using the train that starts at Algeciras on the coast. Very nice way but it does take nearly 3 hours. They usually run 3 times a day with a morning one lunchtime then evening. But nearer the day check www.renfe.com

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Algeciras
Algeciras
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

Is it worth reversing to end in Sevilla for more semana Santa activities? Of so, I'm going to book 4 nights somewhere soon.... Availability is already scarce! I imagine its busy everywhere, but I'm trying to decide if being in Sevilla for good fri is more of a hassle than anything else.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,196 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

It may be sensible then you could drive from Malaga to Granada and on to Ronda country before returning car in Seville and then take the train (or bus) down to Malaga for your return. But frankly the permutations are endless. LOL

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Granada
Granada
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Seville
Seville
9. Re: Base for surprise 30th trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:16