We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental for 79 year old

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
car rental for 79 year old

Hi everyone.....I'm trying to arrange a car rental for my father. He's 79 years old (will that matter to the car rental agencies?). He (for some reason) booked his flight in and out of Seville even though he is staying at the Costa Del Sol area.

Recommended agency for reserving a car? Years ago I used Carjet and liked the fact that ALL damages/losses were covered. I think that would be good for him as he would have no worries at all. Who has that type of policy now?

Also, recommendations for a hotel that will be reasonably priced that would give him easy transport to the airport (so he could drop off his car the night before)?

THANK YOU!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental for 79 year old

Found this on a blog from Argus Car Hire it would appear that Spain does not have an upper age limit which I must admit surprised me.

…arguscarhire.com/age-limits-for-renting-a-c…

I think you should let your dad know that the autovia around Sevilla is very busy, the airport is located close to an autovia junction just out of the city on the north east.

The one time we flew into Sevilla from Liverpool I picked up my car from a company off site from the airport, the night before we flew home we stayed in Hotel Congressos Palace which is nearby. It was reasonably priced and suited our needs, I got the hotel from a link on Ryan Air's website.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 24 January 2013, 22:40
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental for 79 year old

Check www.auto-europe.co.uk

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental for 79 year old

it's all doable and easy, but my question is... why the hassle?

if your father takes the bus from sevilles airport to train station (15 mins) then he can get a train, then in 1h30m of high speed train he will be in Malaga's train station.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental for 79 year old

Thanks, I'll look on the Renfe website to see how much trains are. He's going to be renting a car for Malaga anyway, so I'm guessing he won't want to pay for a train ticket AND a rental car.....you know how cheap dads can be! :D

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental for 79 year old

Bless him :) www.renfe.com/viajeros/index.html

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental for 79 year old

Also, as an old American guy, I can honestly say that he has probably never ridden a bus or train here in the USA, so the thought of getting onto a bus and then going to a train station.....that would be terribly daunting to him. Getting behind the wheel of a car and rolling onto a freeway.....yeah, THAT he understands! :)

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental for 79 year old

I also think that driving here in Spain will be a little daunting. Speeds are faster the rules and social road etiquette is very different to the US. It will not be stress free for him.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental for 79 year old

I agree totally with Casa_Santo_Estevo!

It will not be stressful! (Unless he is an ex-USAF/USMC fighter jock!)

Also, I am not sure he really wants to drive around the Malaga area unless he is going out into the rural areas. They have excellent public transport there.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental for 79 year old

He's planning to go to Ronda, Gibraltar, Tarifa.... I'm going to tell him to get a bus tour probably to Granada just so he doesn't have to drive back in the dark, tired.

He's going in early-mid-March, so traffic won't be summer-crazy. (?)

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental for 79 year old

"He's planning to go to Ronda, Gibraltar, Tarifa.... "

O Ceus!!!!

Full marks for trying!!!!! Go for it!

Please report back when he is safely back!