We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

My boyfriend and I will be spending 4 nights in Seville in the beginning of our Andalucian holiday followed by 3 nights each in Ronda, Jerez and Cadiz and a final night back in Seville. Many have told me that the Alhambra/Granada cannot be missed so I'd like to ask here...

Should we do a day trip to Granada, keeping in mind the six hours of total train travel time, or go to Cordoba instead? Or forego a day trip out of Seville entirely as I am sure we will not run out of things to do or see there?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

a daytrip to Granada I think it's too much. you'll be more time in a train than actually in granada. On the other hand cordoba is an easy 40mins train trip and it's also a stunning city (city center and especially the roman bridge and the mosque-cathedral are breathtaking, as well as its famous patios)

true you'll not run out of things to do in seville in 4 days, but if you are returning for a last night I would give cordoba a try. Otherwise a half-day trip to Italica or a daytrip to Carmona are also perfect ways of spending sometime out of seville.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

I think you are probably right an in addition Alhambra tickets seem to be sold out for any times that would work with the train schedule. I am looking at a visit to the Mezquita de Cordoba instead. Thanks so much for your reply!

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

Are your locations fixed? I'm not convinced either Ronda or Jerez are worth 3 nights, and could probably be done in a day trip.

With 13 nights available, I would do:

* 4 nights Seville (with a day trip to Cordoba).

* 3 nights Cadiz (with a day trip to Jerez)

* 3 nights Malaga (with a day trip to Ronda)

* 3 nights Granada

before returning to Seville.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,184 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

The chance to visit Granada and see the Alhambra is certainly a great idea ... have you considered just training to Granada and overnight then visiting Alhambra the following day ...it may be a worthwhile deviation ? Then you can take a train from Granada to Ronda. It is only about 2 1/2 hours journey and if you take the 16.35 train you can be in Ronda by 19.10 for a good evening sightseeing and have a couple of nights here before proceeding to Jerez and Cadiz. There is a good bus service from Ronda to Cadiz via Jerez and the "pueblos blancos" run by "TG COMES" bus operator of Cadiz. Have a look at the times on here:

http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_16.htm Costs about €15 all the way from Ronda to Cadiz. You don't really need to buy a ticket in advance or you could get one if you wanted when you are in Ronda. The bus station is a few minutes walk from the center.

Knowing your love of horses (mentioned in a previous post) have you considered trying to get to the Carthusian horse stud a few kms outside of Jerez for the Saturday morning show ? www.yeguadacartuja.com/index.php…

Tricky to get to without a car but a taxi from Jerez station may be an option for you. The show and talk is very nice.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

Yes, I am pretty set on the locations - I have been planning this for over a year. Originally the trip was to focus on the Jerez horse fair but the dates were changed. We are staying at Hotel Fuente de la Higuera in Ronda and very much looking forward to a countryside retreat. We'll visit the Royal Equestrian School in Jerez. I do thank you for the suggestions - we are more interested in discovering the heart of Andalucia and walking the cities and towns than seeing all the biggest sights. I realize there is just no way to see it all.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
3,569 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

corolara:

You will enjoy Jerez and Ronda. Both are very enjoyable.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

We may have to rethink things. Unfortunately we can't make the Yeguada Carthusia show as the only bus from Ronda to Jerez Saturdays is at 5pm. Again we would have to cut our stay in one place a day short. I wanted to have time to get a feel for each stop rather than rush from one town to the next. I will do done more thinking. My boyfriend really wants to get over to Morroco so we may try to fit that in as well. If only we could stay a month or two!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

if you want to go to morocco i would recommend into looking a flight from seville to marrakesh or fez and stay there for 1/2 nights and avoid a ferry daytrip to tangier. Tangier is imo a very ugly city compared to the other too and it doesnt make justice to how wonderful morocco is.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

I have secured tickets for an evening visit to the Alhambra and we will stay Tuesday night in Granada instead of Seville. I am now having trouble finding transportation to Ronda from Granada...I am not Ronda on the Renfe website.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip: Cordoba or Granada?

Ditto to what Myscreen said about Morocco. Tangiers is the less appealing and safe city in Morocco. It is only on the tourist circuit because it is so close to Spain.