We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cities to Visit?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
104 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Cities to Visit?

Is Seville a must-see city? What about Cordoba and Granada? Which ones are required to understand the region?

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cities to Visit?

What should I say?

Cordoba was the Caliphate capital city. The Cathedral Mezquita is the epitome of the Moorish religious art in Spain.

Granada was the last capital city of of the Moorish kingdoms. The Alhambra is the most extraordinary example of the civil Moorish art in Spain.

Seville was the most important city in the Spanish Golden Age. Gorgeous and splendid.

Decide upon your time of visit, personal taste, transport means... because they all are essential.

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cities to Visit?

I prefer Seville over Cordoba but both are great destinations with options for daytrips near by. I would get a rental car and cover all three cities if you enjoy car travel and have the time available.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cities to Visit?

I don't like the "must-see" concept, as what could be interesting to you couldnt be to me and viceversa. It depends on how many days you have, what else you are visiting, your interests, etc...

please give more info.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,938 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cities to Visit?

I think to understand the region will always revert to the historical time of the Moorish times and that means considering the prime centre of Al Andalus in former days namely Cordoba. It was here that the Muslim rulers had great power over the region and was an important seat of learning starting from the the 8th Century. . Later on the completion of the great mosque Mezquita became the focal point of Islamic devotion and today is listed as a UNESCO heritage building and is certainly a "must see" when visiting Al Andalus. …wikipedia.org/wiki/…B3rdoba

After reading up about the centuries under Moorish rule in Southern Spain can you begin to understand about those rulers who followed such as the 14th Century royal palace of the Alhambra in Granada that is another most visited sight in Spain and UNESCO site.

And in Seville you have the mix of old and new and plenty of wonderful places to visit with always not enough time to see it all.

So plan a visit to all cities and read up about the history of Al Andalus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Andalus

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cities to Visit?

http://vimeo.com/63164061

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
104 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cities to Visit?

Thanks to all! There's so much to do and learn.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cities to Visit?

Yes ALL three, all are a win-win. Yes how much time do you have????? If only time for one l would pick Seville, then Granada, and then Cordoba, but thats only me. If you do go to Granada make sure you have your tickets in hand for The Alhambra, VERY hard to get into at times.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
104 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cities to Visit?

Tickets on line or some other way ? Thanks!!!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cities to Visit?

Seville itself is a "must see", so is the Alhambra and the Mezquita. I'd spend at least 4 nights in Seville, make one day a daytrip to cordoba, then spend 2 nights max. in Granada. Yes there are so many millions of tourists nowadays that the Alhambra is often sold out. Book months in advance. It used to be hotel concierges in Granada could always wrangle tickets but that may not be the case now.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cities to Visit?

Here ya go, have fun. Hubie

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c77529/Granad…