We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets in Seville

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Markets in Seville

Hi

I have seen photos of a huge colourful market in Granada. Does Seville have a similar market with clothes, shoes, bags etc.

I have read about the Parque Alcosa on Sunday mornings but not sure if this the biggest and best to go to, or there others I should check out.

Also how would I get to the Parque Alcosa from Santa Cruz area.

I love bargain hunting at markets all over the world, and I will always remember the markets we attended in parts of Spain in 2000. They were so interesting.

Also just love the colour and vibe and just exploring it all. We will be there mid to late September

Thanks

Janderra

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets in Seville

Parque Alcosa on Sundays morning is indeed the biggest bargain market in Seville, with more than 500 stands. It's far away from the city center going East, you can take a look at public transportation options here: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Santa+Cruz,+Sevilla,+Spain&daddr=37.406233,-5.911932&hl=en&ll=37.384037,-5.97652&spn=0.018994,0.027595&sll=37.403062,-5.90867&sspn=0.018989,0.027595&geocode=Fe92OgId_ZGk_yntl5InGmwSDTHPLFY8b7_-lw%3BFcLGOgIdYsql_w&oq=santa+c&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=15&start=0

Closer you have on Saturdays and Sundays morning the Mercadillo del Charco de la Pava, somewhat smaller with about 150 stands. It's at the end of Calle San Vicente de Paul (corner with Calle Tejares) in Triana, you can either walk from Santa Cruz (beautiful walk thru Triana neighborhood) or take a bus/taxi.

The famous one in the city center, tho it's the smaller of all said, is the one Thursdays morning along Calle Feria, somewhat 20mins walk from Santa Cruz area, starting at Metropol Parasol structure and ending almost at Alameda de Hercules.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets in Seville

For the last couple of years, there has been a 'Festival of the Nations" in Prado de San Sebastian from mid-Sept to late November. It has a good range of stalls from around the world. I can't find any dates for 2013 at the moment, not sure if anyone knows?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets in Seville

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187443-c106390/Sevil…

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets in Seville

Hi myscreen123

Thank you for giving me all that information about the markets and where they are plus the maps etc

I am still intrigued by the large one at Parque Alcosa.

I looked at directions from Santa Cruz and it says go to Menedez Pelayo and get bus 21 for 5 stops to Poligono San Pablo. Then walk to Luis Montolo and get bus 28 towards Parque Ascosa. 12 stops to Las O.N.G Plaza Gomila and then walk 2 mins.

Could you tell me how easy it is navigate the bus system and if we would find english spoken on the buses. Do you buy the ticket on the bus or prior at a newsagent or bar, such as in Italy.

Could anyone tell me the approx cost of a taxi to get to this market from Alacantra Hotel in Santa Cruz. I dont mind paying for a taxi if it is a reasonable rate to get the chance to visit.

Plus would we be able to get a taxi from the market to return to the hotel. Dont want to get stranded.

Does the market run all day or just until lunch time. We will probably have 2 Sundays in Sevillle, so may be able to visit both markets mentioned.

Thanks again

Janderra

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets in Seville

you can buy your bus ticket in the bus. Expect little to no English spoken by the bus driver however he would understand enough to sell you tickets. In most buses there are TV screens indicating which is the next few stops so you'll know where you are and where you need to get off the bus. I think if you know your numbers it's pretty straight foward, but it will take about 1 hour to get there. By taxi it could take 20 mins or so (depending on traffic) and cost about 15 euros.

Market day there will be taxis around, but you can take note of the taxi number (you can ask your hotel or any taxi driver) in case you dont find taxis around so you can call one to pick you up. There will be someone speaking English in the taxi call center.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 19:53
Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets in Seville

Hi

Thank you so much for that information. I dont think that 15 euro is so expensive that we would bother about the bus, specially if we want to get there early, so might be the easiest and less stressful way of getting there if we decide to go.

By the sounds of it there is everything there with that amount of stalls. Am I likely to find some reasonable quality handbags and things there.

In Italy a reasonable amount of the things at some of the bigger markets are quite good quality, and not all made in China. Have bought very good quality made in Italy designer jeans in the past.

Thank you again, I like to have a plan for what we will do most days so that we can get the most out of the trip and see and do as much in Seville and surrounding areas as possible.

As I have read that most of the shops etc are closed on a Sunday, then a market trips seems to make the most of a Sunday.

Janderra

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets in Seville

Janderra,

You still have information you asked for on the Lagos forum.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets in Seville

Hi

Yes we are also visiting Portugal including Lagos and Lisbon as well as Seville, so trying to gather information on all the areas we are travelling in the 8 weeks.

Thanks again for everyones help

Janderra

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets in Seville

I see. It's just that a couple of people (including myself) went to a lot of trouble getting you information on bus routes and travel times, then heard nothing back from you.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Markets in Seville

Hi MoreCheeseGromit

I thought that I had answered all the posts on the Lagos forum.

Perhaps I wasnt notified by trip advisor that there was a post there for me.

I will go back and check the posts. sorry if I havent replied to anyone.

Janderra