We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alergic to fish how to explain.

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Alergic to fish how to explain.

I am alergic to fish and could end up in hospital if my food comes in contact with fish, the same knife is used or it is cooked in same oil.

However I can eat prawns, oysters, octupus, mussels and calamari.

Last night after talking to a number of waiters at the door of restaurants in Santa Cruz who did not understand when I tried to ask if potatoes, prawns, calamari was cooked in same oil as fish I spoke to waiter who said no, no so we went in for dinner.

After ordering a bottle of wine and looking at the menu, I requested ham crougettes, grilled meatband patata fries. I again explained that I was allergica to fish and he said no problem hecwould tell the chef.

He then came back 45 mins later to say the chef said I could not eat anything on menu but the cold soup and lettuce and tomata salad.

I was so angry and we wanted to leave but unfortunately we had only drank 1 glass from the wine.

When I spoke to waiter again he said he would ask if he could prepare anything else for me that wasnt cooked on grill or in oil with fish. The answer came back NO!

My husband ate something quickly as we hadnt eaten since 7am because we flew and I ate nothing.

I dont want to eat salad at night I want a hot meal please and to enjoy dinner.

At lunch I can eat salad or a sandwich but not for dinner.

How do I tell the waiter my problem in spanish and find something for dinner.

Janderra 1

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alergic to fish how to explain.

I would go for meat, as chances meat manipulation involves any fish manipulation before are quite small. Fried calamari are usually fried in the same fish oil as any other fish (octopus and calamari are considered ¨fish¨ by spanish standards, however prawns or mussels are considered ¨marisco¨=shellfish.

You can try "pulpo a la gallega" and "gamba blanca" in most places, as their cooking process is boiling and has nothing to do with fish at all.

Copy this text to a piece of paper and hand it to the waiter.

Soy alérgica a todo tipo de pescados, pero puedo comer mariscos como mejillones, ostras, pulpo, gambas o calamares. Sin embargo no puedo comer nada que haya estado en contacto antes con pescado, como por ejemplo un cuchillo usado para cortar pescado, o sartenes en contacto con pescado anteriormente. Tampoco puedo comer nada frito en el mismo aceite que el pescado. Mi alergia es severa, podría ir al hospital si consumo pescado.

¿Me podría decir que opciones de la carta me recomienda y le puede decir al cocinero que tome las precauciones necesarias, por favor? Muchas gracias.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alergic to fish how to explain.

Thank you I have copied it out. What does it say in english.

By the way, the other night I ordered grilled lamb, ham cocquettes and french fries. Chef said no all cooked same as fish.

Would love to eat some fresh mussels while in Spain, could u recommend a restaurant. I havent seen any on menus anywhere around Santa Cruz or the Centro.

Dont mind going further afield, also love clams etc. Just wary where I eat them

Janderra 1

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,318 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alergic to fish how to explain.

Janderra1:

Here is the translation of myscreen's paragraph:

“I am allergic to all types of fish, but I can eat fish like mussels, oysters, octopus, shrimp and squid. However I cannot eat anything that has been in contact beforehand with fish. For example a knife that has been used to cut fish, or frying pans in contact with fish beforehand. I cannot eat anything that has been fried with the same oil used for frying the fish. My allergy is severe and I would have to be hospitalized if I ate fish.

Can you please tell me what options on the menu card that you can recommend and tell the cook to take the necessary precautions? Thank you very much.”

4. Re: Alergic to fish how to explain.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:18