We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will any major attractions will be closed during Siesta?

Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Will any major attractions will be closed during Siesta?

I'm trying to fit in as many major attractions as I can in too little time. Do I have to worry about things being closed during Siesta? Which major attractions might close during Siesta and do you know what are the times they will be closed?

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will any major attractions will be closed during Siesta?

Siesta is not a certain time of the day, but a nap some people take after lunch (and it usually doesnt take longer than 30-45 mins) I think what you mean is lunch and after lunch hours, basically from 2 to 5 pm where most shops will be closed (this will leave ppl some time to go home to have lunch, rest a bit and stay with their family, so they can continue working from 5-9pm later. Also, it allows ppl working in offices to get out of their jobs at 5 or 6 and still be able to do some shopping (this doesnt happen in a majority of european countries, where both office and shops schedule is 9-6pm, so people need to get out of the office earlier or shop on saturday)

Same will apply to all the other questions in all the other cities where you've posted them

Nevertheless, some (most) shops will be close during this time, but restaurants and monuments will be open. Better check online in their websites because the Alcazar or the Cathedral close at 5pm anyways, but they dont close lunch time.

As these hours will be a bit quiet, they are ideal for monument visiting or for strolling in the park.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 08:57
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,892 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will any major attractions will be closed during Siesta?

As the heat in the middle of the day can be fierce - especially in a Sevillean summer - many locals take quiet indoor time, and become active later in the day. That's also why Spaniards tend to eat dinner late. Perhaps you could adjust to the same pattern rather than rushing round like a maniac in the middle of the day?

Besides, attractions will have their opening hours posted on their websites, I would have thought?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
64,581 posts
3,729 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will any major attractions will be closed during Siesta?

El Corte Ingles stores do not close for lunch and have a good supermarket downstairs. It is also still giving the 10% discount for clothes and shoes to foreign tourists. Go to the customer service counter first to get the 10% discount coupon.

4. Re: Will any major attractions will be closed during Siesta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19