We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

Detroit
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

We will be taking a day trip to Cordoba. Is it possible the trains will sell out? If so, what is the solution? Can we buy tickets online? (it doesn't look like it from what I see)

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

maybe a certain train will sell out, but there are trains every 30 or 40 mins, so if you plan to buy your ticket in the station, just buy the next one.

the advantadge of buying tickets beforehand online is the price. I bought a ticket at 11 euros where the original price was 26. for buying tickets the official website is www.renfe.es Read tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid… because there could be problems with foreign credit cards.

There are also resellers (like petrabax) but it will be more expensive most of the time.

There are 5 kinds of trains doing seville-cordoba, AVE, AVANT, ALVIA, MD and TALGO. AVE, AVANT and ALVIA take about 40-50 mins and are high speed trains. TALGO and MD takes around 1h10m/1h20min and are "regular" trains. For such short train ride, I would say it doesnt matter much which train you take. Usually TALGO and MD are cheaper.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,449 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

Phishkabob:

Trains to Cordoba from Madrid continue to either Seville or Malaga, which are very popular destinations and there are many businessmen who travel on these trains. I would buy tickets online to be sure to get the one I want. When I travel on the AVE from Malaga to or from Madrid, I see all seats are taken.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

As myscreen has already said in post #1 there is absolutely no need to go through all the hassle of buying online (which also then limits you to a particular train). I've done this journey many a time and have yet to come across a full train (average occupancy rates, even on the AVE, is only 62%).

Easy enough to get tickets when you want to travel, lots of multi-lingual touch-screen machines in both stations.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,644 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

I usually use Media Distancia trains in Andalucia. (The only type of train for travel between Seville and Granada by the way) and you can find them running between Cordoba and Seville as mentioned in myscreen message.

The advantage is that the fare is low on a walk up basis (around €13 I think) . and you can find seats. The disadvantage is they do take longer because they stop at stations but frankly not much longer and they do not run frequently. Look up times on RENFE.

5. Re: Do trains (to and from Cordoba) sell out? Buy ticket online?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:19