We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

Hi all,

We're planning a family trip to Andalucia arriving in Seville Dec 22 and leaving Dec 30. I'm just starting to plan our hotels and itinerary--does anyone have any suggestions for a place to stay in the old part of Seville over Christmas? I know places to eat will be few and far between (and we have the added complication of one vegetarian) so probably a hotel will be better than a flat. Our budget is moderate--no hostels, no Grande Luxe places. Anything we shouldn't miss? We'll plan to visit Granada and possibly skip over to Morocco for the day; if it isn't too cold I'd love to do the horse-riding on the beach thing too (yep, it's a lot to get into a week....). I would love to know anything in the area that you absolutely loved,

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,175 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

"possibly skip over to Morocco for the day"

It will take you 2 hours or so just to drive to the nearest ferry port of Tarifa and an hour to make the crossing on the fast ferry to Tangier. That's a lot of travel for a few hours there.

And do read this frs.es/en/…

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

< I know places to eat will be few and far between >

This isn't really the case - the time you will have difficulty is the evening of Christmas Eve, when almost everywhere will be closed. Plan for this (have a long lunch!) and otherwise you should be fine. Quite a few places will be open Christmas Day and on all the other days everywhere will be open.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

@ Cubsur: We'll probably move around a bit--I don't think we'll spend the whole time in Seville. Trying to figure it all out. We'll maybe spend a night in Granada and a night in Jerez or similar. I think there's a hotel on the beach near Jerez where you can ride horses....Anyway, in your experience, is Tangier worth it? The kids are keen to go but I don't really care one way or the other.

@NosoyGuiri: Thanks! Yeah, a big lunch is a a great idea--something to fortify us for midnight mass (they DO have midnight mass in Spain, right? I'm not particularly religious but I do like my midnight mass!)

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
Tangier
Tangier
Spain
Spain
Europe
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

I would not waste precious time in Andalucia with a trip to Tangier. Seville, Granada, and Malaga apparently is the most beautifully decorated city in Spain at Christmas so I would go there as well as Jerez.

Mentioned in this post
Jerez
Jerez
211 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Tangier
Tangier
Seville
Seville
Granada
Granada
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

Jane:

A good hotel I stay in that is centrally located is the Hotel Becquer. The service in this hotel is very good and so is the breakfast buffet. You can walk to most sights from this hotel.

For Granada, read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

Malaga has fabulous Christmas lights, with 4 million light bulbs that turn downtown into a magical place.

Here is some info about my home town:

Malaga is the capital of the Costa del Sol and has beaches, plenty of sunshine, and one of the best climates in Spain. It is also one of the most beautiful and relaxing cities in Spain, and 100% Spanish. Malaga has 14 museums (among them Glass and Crystal Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum, Automobile Museum, and the two Picasso Museums), historic churches (four founded by the Catholic Kings), and monuments that include two castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro). The sights are mostly downtown and completely walkable. There are very good restaurants, tapas bars, and nightlife. Shopping is wonderful and the city is very safe. The Malaga Park is very large semi-tropical park and beside it is a new park called the Palmeral de las Sorpresas at the port. Muelle Uno is a new shopping/restaurant complex at the port. There are about 1000 buildings from the 19th century downtown, one of the largest and best conserved collections in Spain.

The natives have the great charm of Andalucia and are among the most friendly people in Spain. It is easy to do day trips to the white towns of Ronda, Mijas, and Nerja, since Malaga is the transportation hub of its province. Malaga Airport is the third largest airport in Spain and has direct connections with many European cities. One can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

Good hotels:

5-star: Vincci Posada del Patio

4-star: Hotel AC Malaga Palacio – The rooftop restaurant is a romantic place during twilight with a great view of the port.

4-star: Hotel Molina Lario – The hotel restaurant Café de Bolsa is a very good restaurant.

3-star: Hotel Don Curro

The Restaurant El Pimpi at Calle Granada, 62, has Andalusian decoration and music and one can have tapas and try Malaga’s sweet wine here. This is the restaurant that celebrities are brought to. Movie stars and members of royalty have all been here.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Becquer
Hotel Becquer
4,892 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Muelle Uno
Muelle Uno
293 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Alcazaba
Alcazaba
8,214 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
El Pimpi
El Pimpi
10,347 Reviews
Malaga, Spain
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Granada
Granada
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol
Province of Malaga, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Mijas
Mijas
Costa del Sol, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

I am also planning to be in Seville/ Malaga during Xmas. Wanted to check between the two what would be a better option? We plan to be there for three days each in Seville and malaga. From 23-28/29 Dec. Thanks !

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,076 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

don't miss at least an afternoon in Cordoba to see the Mezquita -- it is really something:

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Mentioned in this post
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

We usually book through Hotels.com or Booking.com and stayed at the Hotel Abanico in Seville, which we found comfortable and attractive.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

We are going to be in Andalucia with 5 days at our disposal.

Trying to fit in a half day trip to Cordoba from Sevilla just to see the Mezquita.

Then from Cordoba will go directy to Granada.

Do you think such rush will be worth it?

Also, suggest places to stay in Granada. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sevilla
Hotel Sevilla
381 Reviews
Seville, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Granada
Granada
10. Re: Seville and Andalucia this Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:16