We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

The website says they do but is this just in the rooms, is wifi in the lobby etc free?

I don't understand how hotels can charge such scandalous amounts for it, I've stayed in 2 star places with free wifi!

Thanks

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

This kind of expensive hotel has high charges for wifi because they assume the guests' companies will pay.

If you want free wifi, stay somewhere a bit down market. For example, the Amadeus is a lovely little hotel in the heart of the historic centre, with free wifi. See www.hotelamadeussevilla.com/en

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

yes -- this kind of fee is not unusual -- in 10 years it will be free. but they'll charge for something else.

uk
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

Thanks, Ive stayed in my share of expensive hotels but never come across wifi charges before, must have been lucky!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,803 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

In my opinion this charge is excessive.

uk
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

Excessive is the polite word for it! Theyre making 900 EUR a night profit in wifi charges alone!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,321 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

If wifi were 'free' they would simply add a few Euros to the room cost. That way everyone pays whether or not they use it and they make even more money.

A pre pay USB dongle from any Spanish 3G network provider would be cheaper by far than that price.

It is actually quite difficult and often expensive to cable out large and especially old buildings for modern facilities like wifi and phones in every room. A previous existence gave me plenty of experience of that.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,203 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

The Alfonso XIII is a great place but it always has been the top end hotel and caters for mainly people with fat wallets or Starwood points collectors or just those wanting a bit of luxury. If the price of being connected in your bed is an issue then stay somewhere else is my opinion. €3.50 an hour is not unreasonable.

(Starbucks across the street has free wifi)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

it is a rip but expensive hotels all over the world feel they can charge outrageously for wifi -- they assume companies are paying or people are rich enough not to care. cheap hotels almost always have free wifi.

9. Re: alfonso xiii - do they seriously charge 18 eur/day for wifi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:16