We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Would like advice

We are a family of 4, two adults and two kids, 5 and 11 traveling to Portugal and Spain for 8-10 days, around end of April.

Plan is to arrive in Lisbon, spend 2 days there, on day 3 take a bus to Seville via Faro. At Seville rent a car and do day trips in the neighborhood (Tangier, Cordoba and Malaga). On the last day take the bus back to Lisbon to catch the flight back.

I drive but cannot drive manual and automatic rentals are expensive. So I would really like feedback on how best to navigate around while in Seville.

Also would like advice as to how to budget for meals and shelter in Seville..

Thank you in advance and appreciate your thoughts.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

mo h:

There are trains from Seville to both Cordoba and Malaga. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

I always stay at the Hotel Becquer near downtown, walkable to most sights.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c151673/Madri…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Check public transport schedules.

Lisbon to Faro Train ww.cp.pt

Faro to Seville www.eva-bus.com

Seville to Malaga Train www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Seville or Malaga to Cordoba Renfe train

Cordoba to Seville Renfe train

Seville to Algeciras www.linesur.com

Algeciras to Tarifa courtesy bus to ferry

Tarifa to Tangier to Tarifa ferry www.frs.es

Tarifa via Algeciras to Seville Bus ww.linesur.com

Seville to Lisbon Bus www.alsa.es or fly www.flytap.com

Car rental www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

There is car parking at Tarifa

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Spain

www.golisbon.com

www.andalucia.com

www.visitmorocco.com

www.accommodation www.venere.com

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Day Trip to Tangier???!!!

By Car, Seville to Tarifa or Algeciras is over 2 hours each way! You then have to do the crossing there and back!!

This will not allow a lot of time in Tangier!

If you are serious about going to Tangier and don't want to overnight there, plan to spend a night in Algeciras or Tarifa you should plan to spend the night in one of those two towns.

Navigating around central Seville is best done by foot!

tussam.es operates and excellent local bus network and there are regular buses from both bus stations at Plaza das Armas and Prado San Sebastian to both local, regional and international destinations.

As regards budget, WHAT is your daily budget? We may then be in a better position to advise.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Sevilla has excellent train links and a super metro service so I would suggest no car while staying in Sevilla, you also have to consider the cost of parking the car as city parking in Spain is expensive. You mention Málaga and Córdoba as possible day trips, these too can be done by train. It would be difficult to see the white towns and villages without a car.

I have wondered this for a while. Is it possible, practical and worthwhile for Americans and Canadians who have automatic only licences to take additional lessons and test on a manual transmission. This would surely make international car hire easier and cheaper if you intend doing so on a regular basis. I ask this because when I was learning to drive in 1978 my Dad had an automatic car and he insisted that I learnt on a manual, my Driving Instructor only allowed me additional road practice on Dad's car for a short period of time before my actual test once he felt I would not get mixed up.

Saludos. Lindsay

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Thank you all for your helpful tips

we are flying SATA to Lisbon as the fares are about $600/person roundtrip late April from Toronto.

From what I gather, public transport is the way to go for getting around.

And yes we will plan to sepnd a night in Tangier

So our plan now stands at

Lisbon - 2 days '

Seville- 6 days including day trips to Cordoba, Granada and if possible Malaga

Tangier 2 days Including transit

let me know if this is feasible...

thanks again

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,257 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

Presume that you have read through the FRS brochure online ?

frs.es/en/…flyer-catalogue.html

Tarifa can be reached from Seville by the TG COMES bus http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_33.htm

or getting the faster LINESUR bus down to Algeciras then either taking a local bus around to Tarifa or taking a free shuttle as supplied by FRS from Algeciras port where they also offer tours from over to Morocco via Tanger-Med again with free shuttle from Tanger-Med to the city.

Best to check with FRS by emails.

Granada is a bit of a slog from Seville as day trip but certainly possible. It takes minimum 3 hours each way either train or bus. So you need to get your Alhambra entry timings right.

7. Re: Family of 4 Lisbon to Seville/Huelva and Tangier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 06:17