We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

Hello, planning for 1st Seville trip this April or May or June 2014. Will be in Seville for 4-5 nights.

When travelling Europe/Spain we enjoy being close to restaurants.Think of streets Passeo de Gracia / R. de Calalunya in Barcelona where any hotel thereabouts are just a few steps away from a lot of great restaurants.

What's the environment around Alma Seville? Do we have to walk through dark narrow streets to get back there after late dining? Are there restaurants or a restaurant row nearby Alma Seville.

Reviews of Alma here on TA are great however, what I can't get a handle on is the location. I googled map it. It seems a bit far (?) from the sights and city center?

Considering that we'll be in Seville 4-5 nights, convenient location is important.

Muchas Gracias

Edited: 21 January 2014, 17:54
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

According to google maps it is 1,1 kilometer from the hotel to the Cathedral (which I always consider as the center of Sevilla with on one side Arenal, our favorite area for drinks and tapas and on the other side Barrio Santa Cruz, also with lots of attractions, bars and restaurants. If you use the street view you can "walk" the area around your hotel to see if there are restaurants. I am not familiar with that area.

We always feel very safe in Sevilla, so don't worry about walking in the dark. The streets will be narrow but does not mean it is unsafe. In Spain everybody eats late, so you won't be alone out and about.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

my brother lives closeby, it is a nice part of the city center, very close to plaza cristo de burgos, metropol parasol and santa justa train station. Somewhat close (15 mins walk) you have alameda de hercules and cathedral, etc, and walking access to everything else in less than 30-40 mins (also bus, etc)

There will be dark narrow streets (depending on your way home), but they will be beautiful. seville's center is very safe and i dont think there is a safety issue there (other than getting lost, which is very easy due to maze-like structure of streets, bring a map!)

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

Thank you very much dutch female and myscreen for info.

How about the Gran Melia Colon location? How do you compare it to Alma Sevilla location?

Regarding Alma Hotel, I did google map doing the "walk". Those are really a maze of tiny streets getting in/out of hotel Alma Seville. Might seem inconvenient [a bit spooky, though safe, maybe not as many people late at night compared to the more central areas]

Will be considering Gran Melia Colon; its surrounding much more lively late at night walking back after dinner? Around 23:00 or 24:00? Around Midnight is when we finish dinner in other Spain cities.

Again thanks.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 20:46
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

in Melia Colon you have easier access to the river, Arenal neighborhood and Triana, which are great places to have dinner as well. Nevertheless, there will also be dark narrow streets in most parts of the city center. It is a very ancient one and at those times there was no car urban planification.

Anyways, it's like 15-20 mins from one hotel to the other, so not much of a difference. In that price range/star level I would go for the Hotel Alfonso XIII, which is in a very good location (much more centrical, and no dark narrow streets around but nice pedestrian avenues, with easy access to metro, tram and most monuments)

23:00 or 24:00 on a weekday it will start to get quiet, nevertheless safe. On a weekend it is kind of early and there will be lots of ppl around.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

Also considering the Alfonso xiii, but focusing on melia gran colon for now.

Restaurants start dinner service around 20:00? Around what time do the streets of Sevilla in city center quiet down and become deserted. Thanks. Really appreciate info.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
3,569 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

Carmi:

The hotel I stay in is the Hotel Becquer, in the Arenal area. It is walking distance to most sights and the barrio is very safe. Across the street from the hotel is the Restaurante Cairo. Beside the hotel is a tapas restaurant.

You will be surprised that in Seville the streets will not get deserted before 1 am. People go out to dinner at 10 pm.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 05:20
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

Thanks again myscreen123 and benny malaga.

Melia Gran is just around the corner from Becquer. I like the location of both hotels. Will probably stay in this area.

8. Re: Alma Hotel Location inconvenient/far from late nite dining?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37