We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Sevilla

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Sevilla

We leave for Spain the beginning of April. I had made reservations for all hotels early and now am going back and roughly planning a day by day itinerary...nothing cast in stone but just an idea of what we might do each day weather permitting.

Our son and his wife were in Seville a year ago and terrified us about the prospect of driving in town. We aren't planning on driving around. Just driving in and parking the car until we leave.

I had booked a hotel outside the old part of the city, away from most of the sites and just changed to the Becquer based on comments of people in this forum. The hotel of course does have parking.

So how bad will the drive into the city be, do you think? We will arrive on a Sunday and leave on Wednesday (3 nights). We have a GPS. Any comments or recommendations? I talked my husband into driving in Rome a few years back, without a GPS at that time, and he swore never again. None of the comments lead me to believe that Seville will be that bad.

Our itinerary is basically

Torremolinos 3 nights

Granada 2 nights

Seville 3 nights

Cordoba 2 nights

Toledo 2 nights

Madrid 3 nights

Barcelona 3 nights

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Sevilla

seville will not be as bad as driving in rome, by any standard you measure it. I am a seville native and when I drove in rome I was scared by the way romans drive.

The issue of driving in seville is mainly in the city center, where the structure is maze-like and full of one-way streets, so you need to know your way and if you miss one turn you can end up in the opposite part of the city center you were heading to. Also, street parking in the city center is virtually impossible. Having said that, hotel becquer is at one edge of the city center, in a wide street and very easy to access from/to the ringroad outside seville (even more so if you have a GPS). You should find no trouble to get in and out the hotel parking and get to the ringroad for getting somewhere outside the city.

Having said all that, as your itinerary is connecting main cities, I think it would be easier, cheaper, faster and more comfy to do the whole thing by public transport (train mainly or bus)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Sevilla

Even though our itinerary includes mainly cities, we plan to see a lot of other places while we are traveling in between and as day trips from Torremolinos and even Madrid. While in Madrid we are actually staying in Barajas. We will take the metro into the city for a day but we plan to drive to Segovia and Salamanca from there. We will be flying from Madrid to Barcelona and do have a car rented there as well. All of our friends, who have driven through Spain, talk of the beauty of the countryside and the small towns and villages, where it is fun to stop for a coffee or tapas.

We really look forward to the flexibility of a car, while trying to make the right choices to keep driving from being too stressful.

We had planned to make a day trip for wine tasting in Jerez but that wouldn’t make sense when driving as the driver wouldn’t be able to taste. And as we only have a couple of days in Seville there is probably too much that we should see there so that means parking the car for the duration. That is why it seemed OK to move to a hotel closer to the city centre. I am glad to hear that driving to the hotel in Seville shouldn’t be too stressful.

Thanks for your comments.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Sevilla

Spriglet:

If your rental car has a GPS, you will not have any problem. The center of Seville has many one way streets that are narrow and without a GPS you may go mad!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Sevilla

If I can drive in Sevilla anyone can. Enjoy your trip.

Saludos. Lindsay

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Sevilla

Your hotel is close to the river which has a busy but manageble road besides it. We also drove our car in this area with no problems.

Madisonville...
Level Contributor
68 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Sevilla

myscreen friend. Thanks always for giving such informative messages. You remind me of Steve Reeves in your approach of proving traveling information. You are direct, to the point but yet provide specific details which helps tremendously when you are in an unknown territory. I must agree with you that Sevilla is a big labyrinth. One has to be careful even by walking it.

Anyway, think about writing a travel book... I would buy the first copy. Luis

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Sevilla

This is a lovely compliment for one of us. Which of us are you referring to with this remark. I wonder because it seems to me that I spend most of my time asking for advice.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Sevilla

thanks very much for your kind words, Luis. I'm blushing :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,903 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Sevilla

I would love to be compared to Steve Reeves but perhaps would prefer to be the Arnold Swarzenegger of the body builders. He at least has made loads of money.

I recall my first attempt to drive inside the narrower streets in Casco Antiguo and ended up a sweaty mess near the place I started from. Then I used my feet and got to know how the city worked. Nowadays am happier to drive inside.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 17:02
10. Re: Driving in Sevilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:24