We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Attire

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate Attire

HI all, Going to be in Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Ronda the first week in May for about 2 weeks when I know it could start getting a bit warm. Do local women wear anything but long pants? Is there such a thing as capris pants there worn with sandals? Knee-length shorts? Or do women just wear ankle length jeans even in the summer? (I know it's not summer but if it's in the mid-80's?) Anyway, at night obviously long pants. We're spending a day or two in Madrid and I plan on wearing a skirt or nice jeans. But what about the south? I'll have a skirt for churches, etc. Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Attire

anything goes, especially if you are under 40yo. Older than 40yo spanish women tend to be a bit more conservative and classy when chosing pants, at least for their everyday life (not so on holidays!)

other than in churches, where in some of them you can been told off if you wear a too short skirt or a sleevesless shirt, everything else is fine for men and women to wear. I would say another exception would be high-end restaurants, where people tend to dress-up (although smart jeans and shirt is more than enough)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Attire

Depends on the age group,overall Spanish women,tend to dress better than a lot of British,the older generation tend to wear nice summer dresses or a nice skirt and blouse,for work,shopping,going out,younger generation tend to wear bikines with denimn shorts and brightly coloured tops for the beach,or if shopping jeans and brightly coloured top,on a night tend to wear a nice dress,some of the middle aged women tend to wear ankle grasing trousers or three quarters trousers like capri pants,for shopping and day wear,evening once again nice dresses or smart trousers and blouse,most Spanish women tend to wear bikinis for the beach except the older who favour costumes,and cotton dresses over the top,hope this helps

London, England
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Attire

For sightseeing I would wear a pair of trousers, jeans or capris with a nice blouse or T shirt. Even a dress would be OK. In the evening I would wear a dress or trousers with a nice top or blouse. I agree with the other posters it does depend on your age and over 40s tend to be nicely dressed. Younger people can get away with almost anything, but not beach wear in a city.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,318 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Attire

Minnie:

Dress conservatively for churches. The churches of Seville are beautiful and the three best are the Cathedral, El Salvador and La Magdalena.

Women in Seville are very fashionable, so I suggest dressy casuals, which will allow you to go to the best restaurants and not feel out of place.

5. Re: Appropriate Attire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 06:16