We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

Two of us are visiting southern Spain for the first time. Our questions about planes are done.

But, ah, the trains in Spain, mainly in the plains! We have a place in central Cadiz the first 9 days of August. I see training to Seville is easy enough, but are train connections to other sites (Cordoba, Granada, Gibraltar, etc.) easily taken from Cadiz, or with connections in Seville? Or is it better to check buses or even car shares like blablacar (which lists Seville but not Cadiz)? We don't have driver's licences and are on a budget but might consider hiring a driver for a day or two.

Also, is it good to book tickets to day visits to Alcazar and the Holy Caves on line?

We are first time visitors and are eager to make the most of our time, based out of Cadiz. Thanks for any advice on day trips (or strongly advised overnights) from there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

You can take train to places like Jerez, Seville and Cordoba easily from Cadiz. Better to consult the times on :

www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

There will be bus options also. One of the big bus operators in Cadiz is called "TG COMES" and they run buses to Seville as well as Granada. http://www.tgcomes.es/index.asp

Granada is a long way from Cadiz and I would save this until another time perhaps. You can change trains at Dos Hermanas or Seville itself for Granada.

Even Cordoba is about 3 hours each way so will be a long day.

There is a bus which goes Cadiz-Cordoba for about Euros 20 return. See

http://www.socibus.es/html/es

"TG COMES" can show you bus to the south like Algeciras and La Linea where you can walk over to visit Gibraltar.

If you are over 60 don't forget the Tarjeta Dorada rail card for discounts.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

On question about blablacar share, I know that Cadiz to many places is popular and only last week I took this from Malaga to El Puerto de Santa Maria so Cadiz to Seville for example should produce several offers of rides. Better to download app for this. Not forgetting that August is peak time for people holidaying down at Cadiz.

You have day trips by catamaran across the Bay of Cadiz to Rota and El Puerto de Santa Maria.

Times will be found on Cadiz Bay transport web :

http://www.cmtbc.es/

A bus to the Pueblos Blancos is run by "TG COMES" or just visit Arcos de la Frontera for the day.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

Wow, Cadiz_lover, I'm filing all this data to study and connect as we plan. Yes, the two of us qualify for the Tarjeta Dorada rail card. Can we purchase them on line, or get them on arrival? Are they valid on all trains?

Thanks again for invaluable advice.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 14:54
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

Thank you, Cadiz lover. While I have you responding, what in the Cadiz area do you consider 'not to miss'?? We are not beach bums per se (although sea and surf and ocean shore are wonderful), but are there boat trips, tours, hidden treasures you recommend?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

Tarjeta Dorada can be bought at first train station you visit like Seville or Cadiz and then you can purchase tickets as well. More

renfe.com/EN/…tarjeta_dorada.html.

Start to read the Top Questions for each city Forum for some additional tips.

I visited the Osborne bodega for sherry a long time ago and think it would make a nice side trip if in El Puerto. http://www.osborne.es/en/

Near the catamaran ferry station at El Puerto is my fav bar serving good quality food and it is excellent place if dallying or waiting for catamaran. Called La Dorada

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187434-d2…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

A local Cercanias train goes between Cadiz and Jerez and is useful for local trips.

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

Once more, muchas gracias. You are adding to our planning pleasure immensely!

8. Re: Planes, trains, and autos in Seville province

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17