We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice please

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Some advice please

4 of us are planning to holiday in Andalucia in October for 7 nights. Our plans are to fly into Madrid and then use the train to travel to Sevilla. So I have a few questions if people would be kind to respond to please. Firstly how do we get from Madrid Airport to pick up the train for Sevilla? Also what is the best train to get to Sevilla. I have looked at the Renfe website but that just confuses me! There seems to be AVE trains? and then some other middle distance trains. I understand we cannot get the tickets until about 60 days in advance - is this the case? Any advice on how best to travel to Sevilla by train would be helpful. Secondly should we spend all our time in Sevilla or should we also try and visit elsewhere? Cordoba, Granada Toledo have all been praised on TA. Should we do these as day trips from Sevilla or should we actually stay there for a night? We are new travellers to Spain so are excited about coming in October but are also happy to accept any advice on our travel plans for Sevilla and surrounding areas.

Thank you

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice please

Hi Charlie

I think a minimum of three days is required to see Sevilla, four days would allow you to do a side trip to Córdoba, five days would allow a trip to Cádiz also. There is so much to see in just this small part of Andalucía, I believe it is a mistake to pack in too much. I am lucky to spend upwards of six weeks in and around the area each year (including a fortnight in October) and find new places to visit every trip. As you are Edinburgh based I would suggest that this won't be a one and only trip to Spain where you need to do it all.

Can I ask why you are flying EDI to Madrid rather than EDI to Málaga?

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 03 June 2014, 00:01
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice please

How about 5 days in Sevilla (with a daytrip to Cordoba) and 2 in Granada?

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice please

I think the trains for Sevilla leave from the Puerta de Atocha station. To get to the Atocha train station Google “Madrid Airport to Atocha”. It looks like the Express bus is a low cost, good bet and easier to navigate than other options.

I’ve just checked the Renfe website and it looks like you can purchase the tickets now. However, seating is generally available and you might want to wait until July-Aug. until making the purchase so that you are more certain of your plans.

Go to the Renfe website. Select “Welcome” at top of page for English. Select “Return, then enter “Madrid(*)” or “Madrid–Puerta de Atocha” for departure and “Sevilla–San Justa” for destination. Select earliest desired departure times and numbers of people, then select “Purchase”. Tables for outgoing and return schedules should appear.

It looks like there are trains roughly every hour or so leaving from Puerta De Atocha.

There are four price categories: 4 to a Table, Promo, Promo Plus, and Flexible ticket. To understand the price codes open another window, go to Renfe.com web page, select “Welcome” for English. At the bottom of the page under General select “Prices and Discounts”. Read the statement and use the left hand menu to see the various terms and conditions for each of the discount categories. To get the 4 to a table discount you must purchase all four seats. It looks like the lowest cost tickets for Promo are about 23-29 Euros from 1100 to about 1300. All seats are reserved on Renfe trains. If the price does not include seat selection your seats will be assigned at time of purchase and will likely be together. If you get stuck on a page with all Spanish, you can select whole paragraphs and paste it into a Spanish to English translator that you can Google-up in another window. When you have made your ticket selections, select “Continue” at the bottom of the page. You will then have to enter your contact and passport info for all passengers.

I just returned from a trip to Spain. We stayed 3 nights in Sevilla, one in Cordoba, two in Toledo and 4 in Madrid which including a day trip to Segovia. What is best all depends on what your sight seeing priorities turn out to be. I suggest going through Rick Steves' book on Spain and see what interests you in these cities, then squeeze what you can into the 7 days available. You may want to stretch it to 10 days. We spent 5 hours just at the Prado in Madrid. The more homework that is done the happier you will be.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,199 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice please

Refer the other thread on Madrid Forum where you added your question.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…58708013

If you have not visited Granada and Cordoba then you can do this if you wish. But do read up about these places to get a feel? There is a wealth of information on Trip Advisor included in each city pages.

Cordoba Forum and Top Questions

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187430-i733-Cor…

Granada Forum and Top Questions

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187441-i416-Gra…

RENFE trains are plentiful between Madrid and Cordoba then on to Seville.

There are several different types of trains used in Spain. On Madrid-Cordoba -Seville route many trains are AVE (flagship high speed) some are called AV-City which only has economy type seats not the first class types. These have been introduced to give the passenger/customer better prices with same speed etc so would be worth considering but very few trains. Also there is a train called Altaria which is not as fast as AVE but nevertheless very comfortable so if cost is taken into account then maybe this is best.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some advice please

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I have travelled around Europe reasonably well but for some reason we have never quite made it to Spain and Andalucia in particular. I have been keen to travel to Andalucia for some time so I am greatly looking forward to it and thank you for all your comments and advice.

Charlie 2428

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some advice please

Also, if you choose to visit Toledo you might want to consider visiting it from Madrid rather than a day trip from Seville. There is no direct train from Seville to Toledo (or at least that's whats been explained to me for our upcoming October trip). You would have to return to Madrid first and then take another train to Toledo

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
298 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some advice please

Seville made not the impression we hoped for, though I am sure many will disagree. I was so looking forward to see this city, but we were disssapointed for several reasons: it was more dirty than other cities of Spain we visited, food was not as good, and grafity is heavier than anywhere else.

May be its because we went to Valencia and Granada first, which we loved. I would strongly advice to spare couple days for Granada ( Alhambra), and Malaga which is only 2 hours away by car. I m not sure how to travel to all these cities by train, we have a car. Good luck, south of Spain is gorgeous, you will love it.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some advice please

Charlie:

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

You should do Toledo as a day trip from Madrid. Read about this day trip in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

You need 2 days in Granada to see the Alhambra. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

9. Re: Some advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:15