We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

I will be driving around Spain and Portugal end of December. One of the route is from Seville to Lisbon. I read from Hertz website that we have to buy prepaid Pass since many Portugal highways are toll road with electronic devices.

Please advise if we have to buy in advance or else?

Also do I need to use car for sightseeing in Lisbon or Porto? If we don't need car, is there any parking garage that we can park the car ?

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,422 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

You can buy a temporary visitors toll pass as soon as you cross the bridge from Spain into Portugal.

For further information see this TA topic page : tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189111-c173877/Algar…

Of particular relevance is that the A22 motorway in the Algarve is for electronic payment only. There are no cash toll booths.

I suggest you seek advice about parking in Lisbon and Porto in those city forums. Many hotels have private parking, so check out that first. As you rightly surmise, driving around either city for sightseeing is not a good idea! Public transit in both cities is very cheap and efficient to get you to all the places you could wish to visit.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,422 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

And a second thought, if you will be a renting a Spanish car do check the terms and conditions applicable to taking it across the border into Portugal. Most companies will ask for extra money to cover insurance and recovery in the event of theft, breakdown or accident. If you do not tell them you are going to Portugal there could be serious problems for you should anything happen.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

Thank you, Cubsur for the advise.

I will inform rental company if we plan to cross border to Portugal.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

Hi Cubsur,

I have another question on renting a car in Spain or Portugal. Do we need to take excess insurance on top of Collison Damage Waiver that already provided by rental company? I don't have insurance coverage in my country. Even if I have right now, it only covers for the car that I owned in my country not other car that I rent in Spain or Portugal.

I ask this because someone told me that even if the car already included CDW, we urged at the counter to take excess insurance to free us zero amount from any damage to the car.

Thanks.

5. Re: Drive to Lisbon, Portugal from Seville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16