We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Car

Cherry Hill, NJ
6 posts
Save Topic
Train or Car

We are 2 couples staying 2 nights in Madrid. Then we planned to pick up a car and drive to Toledo to Cordoba (for 2 nights) to Seville (for 2 nights) to Arcos de la Frontera and Ronda(for 2 nights) to Granada (two nights) and then flying to Barcelona (for 4 nights). Our original plan was to pick up a car when we leave Madrid and then return it when we reach Granada. Reading the difficulties of parking and driving in Seville is giving us second thoughts. Should the 2 couples skip Toledo and take the train directly to Cordoba and then to Seville rather than drive for that part of our trip? We would then pick up the car at the Seville train station. Since there are 4 of us sharing the car, this seems like the more costly option and it means missing Toledo, but I wonder if it is worth the extra cost. Any advice would be appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Car

Just an Idea, but you could do an extra night in Madrid & do Toledo as a day trip on the AVE, the high speed train. Then take the AVE to Sevilla, stopping off at Cordoba on the way for the Mezquita & maybe lunch, but not staying the night. Then pick up the car when you've finished in Sevilla. You're right, you don't want to drive there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,238 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Car

One of the problems with using public transport is luggage. Many holidaymakers use their motor car as luggage trollies. I think if you can be really disciplined about packing and travel light, then using the trains or bus in Spain is fun. Most of the main stations have storage lockers where you can leave your bags whilst you make a side trip, such as at Cordoba station. If you are really able to travel light then your itinerary could be done without a motor car !

After staying in Seville you take a train or bus down to Jerez de la Frontera and have an opportunity to take a tour of Jerez before getting the bus over to Arcos. Whilst not very frequent, there are buses leaving Jerez at 4.30 and 5.30 then 6.30 etc leaving plenty of time to reach Arcos well before dinner and to enjoy the old town. The nearest hotel to the bus station at Arcos is called hotel Peña de Arcos and you can walk up into the old town from that hotel in about 30 minutes - a dinner or drink at the Parador at the top is worth considering. Or just stay at the Parador ! Then a bus over to Ronda in the morning calling at some interesting places on the way and getting you to Ronda in time for lunch !

A train from Ronda to Granada is a leisurely way to travel and takes 2 1/2 hours. get the 9.00 one in the morning and reach Granada at 11.30.

But I do agree that a car can sometimes be more convenient !

And getting from Madrid's Atocha station to Toledo on the fast AVANT service taking 30 mins makes sense, but consider taking the train to Toledo in the morning then returning to Atocha station later in the afternoon and changing to your AVE train for Cordoba and maybe spending a night in Cordoba ? That way you can book your times so that you could leave Toledo and be in Cordoba in about 3 hours. Worth looking at the times on www.renfe.es for guidance. Buy your tickets through a travel agent.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Car

senoraylan has a great suggestion. I think you could lop off a night in Cordoba and add one in Madrid.

for Ronda, I loved the Hotel Enfrente Arte. Highly recommended!!

be careful about car sizes and packing, A smaller car won't fit all 4 of you AND 4 suitcases. A small station wagon type vehicle might be better. Unless you can pack like a European, that is. I can't,

I pack light ...for an american... 1 large suitcase and 1-2 carryons for 1 couple and depending on what the other couple brings also you could be driving for hours with luggage on your lap!

4. Re: Train or Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 19:20