We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

North Wales
Level Contributor
89 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

Can anyone recommend a really good tapas bar or casual restaurant around the Cathedral area?

We are staying at the hotel Dona Maria and arrive after 10pm so need something close by.

Has anyone been to the Arab thermal baths and would you recommend a visit after a days sightseeing?

Also does anyone have any knowledge of Restaurante Rio Grande overlooking the river?

Thanks for any help.

Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

It would seem like a tourist trap but every time I've been there, there have been more locals than foreigners (locals always standing at the bar, foreigners sitting down) Cerveceria La Giralda...

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

Cerveceria La Giralda is always a good mix of locals and tourists, mainly because they have very good tapas and the location is close to all of the monuments. The same family owns Bar La Estrella, about 5 minutes from Dona Maria and also is very good. For casual, although not Spanish, Restaurante San Marco is a good value and decent Italian food. The setting is in a former 12th century arab bath. This is two blocks from the hotel on Calle Meson del Moro.

Rio Grande is not bad, although for a meal with a view I prefer the food in Kiosco de las Flores which is a few blocks down from Rio Grande. Both will offer the same view more or less.

Aire de Sevilla is the name of the arab baths complex. Definitely nice and relaxing, whether you do the baths, a massage or just visit the tea rooms. I would definitely recommend this as a good way to wind down after a long day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,837 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

Kiosko de Flores has an open air part which is great is the sun is shining and for lunch. Maybe the other restaurant is more of an evening place. That river frontage road Calle Betis has a number of bars etc that I need to explore !

When I first visited Seville, I found the bar called Las Columnas which is close to the cathedral on the corner of Mateos Gago/C.Rodrigo. Have been back several times as I find the eats and the service great !

Having your order prices written in chalk on the counter top also helps me to keep track on how much I have had.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

I was in Sevilla for several months and didn't find a single bad tapas bar. I did find ones that specialized in things I don't like, but tapas are pretty good wherever you go. Different places specialize in different dishes.

Ten PM is still a little early for dinner in Spain, although the places near the cathedral ar accustomed to the barbaric customs of tourists who insist on eating before 8PM, so you should manage nicely when you arrive.

Have a great time.

St. Albans
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

The area around the cathedral is more expensive than the rest of Seville. Check out prices before you order. Cheap to eat standing but you probably need arest after doing the tourist thing. Slightly up from the immediate surrounding is Las Columnas. Popular and bar and eating place and cheap.

Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
206 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

There's a cracking tapas bar in Santa Cruz called Cafeteria Santa Teresa I think, although I'm not sure if it opens in the evening as I've only ever been in there during the day. Maybe the Sevilla experts can help with that?

It's always full of locals and has a great atmosphere, with sawdust on the floor bullfighting memorablia and your tab chalked up literally on the bar itself. The pork fillet wrapped in bacon skewered on a cocktail stick is just the best thing I've eaten. Great place!

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

Dinner time kind of fluctuates depending on the season. In summer people tend to eat much later, with 22 - 23:00 often a common starting time. In winter it is not uncommon to start between 21 - 22:00, thus a little earlier. While not many, there are some bars and restaurants which have the kitchen open all day, such as Las Columnas (Santa Cruz), Bar Manolo (Alfalfa), El Modesto (Santa Cruz). Other bars, such as El Rinconcillo, are open all day but the kitchen hours (for hot tapas) are limited. This is good to know in case your eating schedule is not on local time (and this is not such a bad thing). When traveling in other parts of Spain we have taken advantage of places which are open all day so we could see sights for longer or attend a concert which started earlier. Sometimes getting lost or not keeping track of time well means you lunch, and then an early dinner is in order. And there is an advantage to this at times. I live next door to El Rinconcillo, and between 18 - 20:00 the places is almost empty and very laid back. A great time for a beer or two or a coffee, and then you can order early and eat before everyone arrives.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

Our first night in Seville, we ate at a side-walk cafe just a block or so from the Cathedral called Las Escobas off of Calle Alemanes. Very pleasant, lively atmosphere in the evening (there are several restaurants grouped together there) and the place is of historic interest. Supposedly there has been an inn or restaurant on that site for centuries, and reputedly Cervantes dined there.

(After dinner, we walked around a corner, and my traveling companion was awestruck by his first view of the Giralda illuminated at night.)

If you like gazpacho, be sure to try the salmorejo, a local variation, that is even better than gazpacho.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
274 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

The arab baths in Seville are fantastic and I would say an 18:00 appointment with massage would be perfect after a day in the city and before you head out on a tapas crawl. Alternatively, we have visited in the morning - Mon-Thurs a 10am visit c/w aromatherapy is only 15 euros. The teteria is also lovely. Book ahead.

10. Re: Tapas or casual restaurant near Cathedral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 00:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now