We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gijon

Which Gijon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
401 reviews
Save Topic
Gijon

I should like to say a big thank you to the wonderful Spanish people of Gijon that helped to make our holiday in this wonderful city such a memorable one.

To the spanish chap we met at Stanstead airport who was so friendly and helpful and the delightful lady that we met at Asturias airport whilst waiting for the bus into Gijon. She gave us restaurant recommendations in Gijon and they were spot on.

To the people that stopped to help us as we were looking at the street map. We were astounded at the willingness of folk that walked up to us and gave a friendly word even though language wasn't at times easy as we were in an essentially non speaking English area.

To the people who took great pride in cleaning the streets of this fabulous city. To the various taxi drivers as we felt totally safe in their hands.

In general the curteousness of the Spanish people. What an amazing country. You are a wonderful example so thank you for a memorable holiday.

Yes we will be back!!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gijon

Asturias is not so famous as other regions of Spain and obviously underrated.

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gijon

i have to agree,

i have travelled all over Spain and felt most welcomed in Gijon.

I absolutely loved this wee city and would be back tomorrow if there were better flight connections from Scotland.

I travelled with my little girl and she had a great time too. We were both welcomed with open arms most places we went.

This is defo an underated Spanish destination and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see the "real" Spain. It is completely different to anywhere else I have been to or lived in Spain!

PUXA GIJON

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gijon

just going back over and it is ever so dificult to actually get to asturias - so am not surprised people dont go!

i am travelling from scotland so i need to get connecting transport - which makes it even more difficult and costly. especially with having to pay high taxes and payment charges for each individual fare i book.

have looked at flying to tourist destinations in spain and making my way from there - but the distance is too great and even doing it this way is very expensive.

am thinking of driving and taking the ferry if i go back again - but i expect the ferries will be expensive too - and i won´t make any comment on how much the petrol will cost me to get down to the south coast of england from where i stay!

such a shame as this is probably the nicest part of spain i have ever visited!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gijon

You are right about the cost, To get to Santander by Brittany Ferries is expensive and this will probably be the last time in Spain because of the cost.

I think there is now a ferry from France but don't know how expensive.

The flight from Stanstead was very reasonable but not near you.

Such a shame as fuel prices will put a lot of people off.

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gijon

are you refering to the prices in spain or the transport prices that is putting you going off going back?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gijon

It is the transport prices. B Ferries have the monopoly now that P&O have pulled Bilbao.

The ferry prices have risen drastically this year.

I have a feeling that the ferry from France is from St Nazaire to Gijon.

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gijon

oh that´s not good!

have just booked a hotel and also struggled to get one at a "reasonable" price and even then I found the price a bit expensive. it would have been so much easier and cheaper just to go to one of the resorts - but there are no resorts marketed by british companies anywhere near asturias.

think the next time that i go to spain i am going to have to go somewhere else to make it half affordable. i have spent more already than i did going for 2 weeks to gran canaria on a package holiday last month, and i am only going for 5 days.

i also have no luggage allowance this time and no meals included on the flights or at the hotel. nightmare!

and people are telling me that gijon is trying to market itself to tourists!

8. Re: Gijon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 12:16