We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan options?

Which Gijon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sleaford
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan options?

Do you know of any health food shops, cafes or restaurants that cater for vegans in Gijon? I arrive on Monday and I'm renting an apartment for 10 days so I can cook for myself and can get everything I need from supermarkets. However, I like to support smaller local businesses for my shopping and I would also like to go out a few times for a meal and as much as I love Indian food, I would rather go to a Spanish restaurant.

Muchas gracias

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan options?

Vegan is not a conception that the Spanish have unfortunately, vegetarian eating is still quite difficult in the north of Spain, or rather getting people to understand what vegetarian actually entails! Your best bet (and what my stricter veggie friends do) is to say that you're allergic to things, rather than try and explain you don't want things. "Tengo alergia a..." Careful with salads, you'll often find tuna in there, and sometimes ham or bacon, even if you've explained you can't eat meat (carne) or fish (pescado). Shellfish (marisco) are a completely different category too. Dairy is "lacteos", and eggs are everywhere! My veggie father often just lives off Spanish omelet and cheese, which is obviously no good to you, but most "typical Spanish" food has either meat, fish, shellfish or egg in it, anything else you find will probably be modern, fusion type stuff, not traditional Spanish. So...realistically you're not going to have it easy, sorry! I don't know whether you'll find an Indian restaurant in Gijon either (Mike?). That is a rather general oversight of vegan/vegetarian in the north of Spain, not specific to Gijon, maybe Mike or someone else can elaborate on this for Gijon specifically.

Hang on, I've just done a quick search, and it's come up with these two places:

http://twistcafevegetal.es/

https:/…

Veggie, not vegan, but I reckon they might prep something up for you, worth a try!

Sleaford
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan options?

That's excellent information. Thank you very much. On the link you sent for Bar La Vaina, it says just under the profile picture, "Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurant", so that is perfect. Much appreciated.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan options?

Oh great! I didn't look well enough! Let us know what they're like...could be a good day trip for me and my dad!

Sleaford
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan options?

I certainly will. Thanks again :-)

5. Re: Vegan options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Gijon
Recent Conversations