We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please!

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
826 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please!

We like to stay in small villages in rural B&B's or inns in mountain areas since we like to hike. We will be departing Cangas de Onis (after four days in a B&B) on April 28 and must be back in Madrid on the afternoon of May 1. We will be driving back back to Madrid I suppose on the route by Leon. If you can recommend a small village which would have a nice B&B and restaurant which is not so much of a tourist spot, I would most appreciate such. If you have any othe ideas of another direction for us to drive back to Madrid please also post. I am not too keen on Potes but will await your replies. Thanks.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please!

The first place that popped into my head was Somiedo, which I know nothing about to be honest, but I know it's some kind of national/natural park, west of Oviedo, and I've heard there's great walking there. I know nothing more, not very helpful, but maybe it's a start?

You could also consider going back over on the road directly south of Cangas de Onis (through a gorge), and heading over into Leon there. There are villages around there with good facilities (if you head anywhere not touristy in May it will probably all be closed during the week), such as Posada de Valdeon or Oseja de Sajambre. There is some great walking there, the south side of the Picos. You've got the oportunity to do the Garganta de Cares from the other direction, starting in Cain as opposed to the usual Poncebos (you may have already done this the week before if you're staying in Cangas though), which is THE must do walk in the area. There are loads of marked walking paths in that area too, some shorter, and some longer day walks right up into the rugged mountains. It's a good alternative to getting into the Picos without heading into touristy Potes. There is a book you should try and get your hands on when you arrive which has them all marked and explained (in Spanish, but with photos and maps, fairly obvious stuff), called Senderos PR y GR Del Parque Nacional De Los Picos De Europa, published by Desnivel: casadellibro.com/libro-senderos-pr-y-gr-del-…

It'll be on sale in Cangas I imagine, it's the best walking guide to the area by far. There are also 2 different scale A5 sized maps of the Picos, one yellow and one green, which you will also see on sale everywhere. There is certainly a shop in Arenas de Cabrales (and area really worth visiting from Cangas and with some great walking - walk up to the village of Bulnes from Poncebos) where I have bought guides and maps before.

2. Re: Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 23:16