We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving trip to Asturias, or not?

Which Oviedo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving trip to Asturias, or not?

Thinking about a ten day trip to green Spain in September. All options available at the moment so very excited. Have seen lots of great suggestions about where to go but am thinking about whether to hire a car or not. I am a not very experienced driver so lots of tricky mountain roads are not my thing. But also don't want to miss out on the flexibility it will give me.

Can anyone give me an idea of the driving conditions in this region and any easier to use routes?

Many thanks

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving trip to Asturias, or not?

Hire a car. No question.

Whether it's Asturias, Cantabria, or wherever in the north, you'll be so much freer if you can drive, and you'll get to see so much more. The public transport is fine between the big cities, but going anywhere else will take a lot of time and patience, and there will be many places which are inaccessible to you, the best beaches, the most interesting mountain villages etc.

Driving in this area is no problem, motorways are fast and a lot less busier than in the UK, and generally free (no tolls). A & B roads are also generally in good condition and free flowing. There are very few "lanes" (I'm thinking the Westcountry here), and even most mountain roads are not difficult, especially in touristy areas. Everywhere you'll be interested in going will be well signposted, many places with brown or pink tourist signs.

September is a great time to come too, not as touristy as July & August, and usually better weather too, and everything will still be open.

london
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving trip to Asturias, or not?

Thanks that's really helpful. Will take your advice. Now to plan where to go!

3. Re: Driving trip to Asturias, or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:16