We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a nice village close to Bilbao

Dublin
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a nice village close to Bilbao

We arrive into Bilbao next week & I am looking for a nice small town or village inland to stay in for three nights....basically somewhere one can get away from the 'big city' feeling.

I think Lagaurdia has been mentioned in a few posts? ANy other suggestions, all are welcome?

thanks.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice village close to Bilbao

I'd choose Elorrio, 40 kilometer from Bilbao.

Copy and paste this adress:

…euskadi.net/contenidos/…elorrio.pdf

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice village close to Bilbao

No doubt, Plentzia (www.plentzia.org), the last stop in the metro system, 20 kms from Bilbao, two beaches, a river, a small fishing port, charm, great restaurants, old town, nice atmosphere...and inexpensive hotels. Half hour to Bilbao city centre on the metro. Also linked by bus.

Closer, Getxo, www.getxo.net, coastal town, classy, residential, great walks, two beaches too, great food, nice hotels (i.e. Hotel Embarcadero, Hotel Tamarises, Hotel Igeretxe -all facing the sea-)

Laguardia is about one hour and a half from Bilbao, great place, but a bit far away.

In any case, Bilbao is not a big city, 350.000 inhabitants, you can walk to almost any place on it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice village close to Bilbao

I had a loveley few days in Zarautz... old town with beach should be quiet this time of year. About 1 hour on the train (4.20 single fare !) prob shorter by bus if you can get one from Bilbo...

or what about San Sebastian.. a fantastic location, 1 hour 10 mins on bus from Bilbao... really relaxing feel to it... two lovley beaches, all top spanish shops and best food in whole of Spain ?

Enjoy...

4. Re: Looking for a nice village close to Bilbao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 08:19