We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

Reus, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

Hello

I am looking for a bit of advice (i'm not very good at making decisions!!!!) ;-)

I have to travel from Ourense in Galicia to Catalunya (I currently live in Reus, Tarragona Province) in August. I have as much as 10 days to do this, so I would like to travel an interesting route.

I will be travelling alone, I am 28 and female. (it's the first time I will have travelled this much on my own!)

I will have travelled around Galicia by the time I take this trip so I am thinking my first stop will be Leon (this is easiest public transport wise). I will be relying on public transport for the journey. The reason I have kept to the bigger places is because I will be on my own, so I am hoping that I will be able to meet people in hostels for the evenings! However, I would quite like to see some of the smaller towns on route if they have places I could go of an evening.

Possible Itinerary

Leon - Oviedo

Oviedo - ????

???? - Santander

Santander - Bilbao

Bilbao - San Sebastian

San Sebastian - ????

????? - Zaragoza

Zaragoza - Reus

My main questions are;

1) Is there anything glaringly obvious that I have missed off this route?

2) Is there anywhere that I should stop in between Oviedo and Santander

3) Same question San Sebastian - Zaragoza

I am interested in art and architecture so museums and cathederals will be of particular interest! Also in Oviedo a good cider bar recommendation would be great!

I would be interested in walking/countryside, but not sure of the feasibility of doing this on a group tour when I'm not going to be based anywhere in particular.

(I would hope to return one day to explore LaRioja etc, but dont think this is the time!)

I know it is an awfully long way, but I am having to take it, I could just get a train all the way, but where's the fun in that!!!

Thanks

Caspar, California
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

on your way to San Sebastian (donostia) from Bilbao, you might check out Leikeitio. it is a beautiful little town, a nice gothic cathedral, you can hike to the old whale watch, and go to Bar Maite or one of the bars on the water front.

Reus, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

thanks very much, I will have a look at this!

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

Consider stopping in Ribadesella or Llanes between Oviedo and Santander if you're taking the FEVE train, www.feve.es, or if you're taking the bus, www.alsa.es, then also San Vicente de la Barquera is a lovely fishing town with fantastic beaches within walking distance of the town, and great seafood! (NB, the FEVE also says it stops in San Vicente, but the station is well out of town, so don't consider it). There is a bus, www.transportedecantabria.com, which also goes from San Vicente to Comillas and Santillana del Mar to Santander, two other very pretty towns with interesting architecture and beautiful buildings. Santillana is very well known for many reasons, and is a "Must See" on any northern Spain trip, definately worth a stop (it is touristy, but is still worth it).

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

I'm a little concerned that you have alot of places to visit in 10 days using public transportation. You may want to look at cutting out some places versus adding more. I'd want a least a couple of days each in Oviedo, Leon & Santander. You could easily spend the entire time in the Basque country and not be bored. At a minimum I'd want 5 days to base myself in San Sebastian and visit Bilbao and a smaller village (Lekeitio, Getaria, Hondarribia, etc... This is already 11 days and doesn't include Zaragoza. Do your homework ahead of time on the bus/train schedules to get a feel for how feasibile an itinerary is. Don't worry about traveling alone in Spain - it's enriching and you have the benefit of doing exactly what you want to do! Have a great trip.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

If you focuses your trip on art and architecture the highlights could be:

León: Gothic cathedral, Colegiata de San Isidoro, Palacio de San Marcos (Parador), Casa Botines by Gaudí and MUSAC (Modern Art Museum).

spain.info/en/reportajes/musac_testigo_del_s…

Oviedo: Cathedral, Pre-romanesque churches at outskirts Oviedo and old town.

spain.info/en/conoce/monumentos/asturias/igl…

Comillas (Cantabria): El Capricho by Gaudí and Pontifical university.

http://www.turismocomillas.com/english.html

Santillana del Mar (Cantabria): Old town and Altamira museum

http://www.museodealtamira.es/

Bilbao: Museo Guggenheim (building), Museo de Bellas Artes (contents).

http://www.museobilbao.com/in/

Vitoria:Restoration work of the old cathedral

https:/…

Burgos: Gothic cathedral, Las Huelgas abbey, the Cartuja de Miraflores, the Human Evolution Museum and Atapuerca Archaelogical Site.

paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/Spain/Camino_…

…blogspot.com/2007/03/monastery-of-miraflore…

fundacionsiglo.com/atapuerca/datos_en.html

As you can see, there are lots of interesting sights.

Sapcote, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

My daughter spent her year abroad (Ba Spanish) in Gijon so visited several times. In Oviedo I remember visiting a street just full of Cidre bars - some traditional with wiaters pouring it for you - clever stuff and some electronic its a real experience. goeurope.about.com/cs/asturias/qt/sidra.htm

Have a wonderful time it is a beatiful part of Spain and we found everyone very freindly.

My daughter is currently walking the Camino de Santiago only 400km to go!! travelling on her own and is really enjoying herself and meeting some wonderful people this is before she starts teaching in warwick in sept.. She has commented tho that so far has only met 1 brit.

Have fun and enjoy.

Reus, Spain
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

thanks very much everyone for your help and information. Still not quite there on decisions, but you have all been extremely helpful! And swabs, i am from Warwick (how strange!)

8. Re: Travelling Alone - Northern Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 22:17