We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

We found cheap airfare to Bilbao and have always been intrigued by the Basque culture. We're booked in and out of Bilbao for 7 days (via Madrid to the US)in late June My preliminary itinerary looks like this:

Arr. in Bilbao mid-day and spend the night. Depart for Getaria and spend two nights. On to San Sebastian for another two nights. Return to Bilbao for one more night and depart the following day.

We're traveling with 2 kids-11 & 17. We're looking forward to the food, beaches (though I know the weather can be iffy),& history . I liked the small city aspect of Getaria and thought my kids would enjoy the Balenciaga museum. Plus there's the potential for a day trip into the neighboring countryside. Bilbao sounds interesting but perhaps less so than SS.

Am I selling Bilbao short? Is two nights (despite the tranquility) in Getaria too much? This isn't our first trip to Spain and the kids are good travelers. The spouse can be a nervous driver at times. Is the drive from SS to Bilbao anything nerve-wracking?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

It will depend on when you'll be there, but I would split my time between Bilbao (3 nights) and San Sebastian, doing Getaria as a day outing.

The drive from San Sebastian to Bilbao will take a little over an hour and is any easy drive. The coastal route takes a bit longer, but it's not difficult, only beautiful.

Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

We'll be there in about a month. It sounds like the coastal road to SS would take about an 90 minutes or so. Is there another town worth seeing instead of Getaria? (though we'll still have to stop at the Balanciaga museum for the kids) We love water views & good food and something out of our everyday urban experience back home.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

I would spend 5 nights in San Sebastian, visit Getaria from there as a daytrip. 2 nights in Bilbao at the end.

Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

I'll be lucky to find a hotel for 5 nights...anywhere. Everything is quite booked up and it's complicated by the fact that most (all) hotels consider my teenager to be an adult (not in MY experience!) and won't book us as a group (there's a max of 3 people in most rooms). I'm learning to be less choosy!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

Traveling as a family group of 4, you're probably better off renting an apartment for 5 days. I travel with only 1 child, so we have no trouble with hotel rooms. For my relatives, I found an apt near the Parte Vieja from Friendly Rentals. Wanted to give you a link but their website is not working today.

Getaria is an easy daytrip by bus. Here are my notes from last yr's itinerary. I ended up going somewhere else. You can use Google maps to plot the bus trip and double-check the bus schedule on the bus website.

(I was leaving from the Hotel Astoria 7 but you could take the bus from the Parte Vieja too)

Eu51 bus from Amara Plaza - Zumaia - Donostia Por Autopista A-8, Bus towards Txomin Agirre

10:00am - 10:33am (34 mins, 9 stops)

Service run by LURRALDEBUS EUSKOTREN

Balenciaga museum, Aldamar Parkea 6, http://cristobalbalenciagamuseoa.com/

Fish lunch at Elkano or pintxos at Politena, Naguasia Kalea 9

Take Eu51 bus back at 4:06 or Eu52 at 4:36 pm

Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

So, I took some advice and booked SS on the front end of the trip and went for an apartment. Doing so opened up some places that were previously booked. Bilbao we'll do at the end (even if we have to take two rooms at a hotel (I'll guess we'll find out if my teenager really is and adult!) Thanks for the input from everyone!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

I use booking.com for hotel reservations. It allows you to input the age of the children. That way, it'll search for you and be more accurate re: which hotels treat your teenager as an adult or child.

8. Re: Bilbao-Getaria-SS in 7 days: Crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:41
Get answers to your questions about Basque Country