We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

New York, NY
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

My wife and I will be travelling to the Basque Country for 4 days in April without our son. We are flying into Bilbao, and have not made any hotel reservations either in Bilbao or in any other neighboring towns or cities. We both love to eat, explore and relax (if we have the time), and are looking for recommendations for a proposed itinerary for our trip. Any input or guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,662 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

liebersh:

I would spend 2 days in Bilbao and 2 in San Sebastian. You can take the bus between the two cities. In both places you will be able to eat well because the Basques are great cooks. No need to eat at Michelin star restaurants unless you really want to.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

Is your entire trip to Europe 4 days or is this part of a larger trip? Will you be returning home also via Bilbao?

San Sebastian...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

Hi, 4 days it's not much, I would recommend to hire a car in order to be able to see more things.

to see Bilbao as a city - 1 day is more than enough, but near Bilbao there are beautiful places like San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaztelugatxe), then all the nice villages along the coast... like Lekeitio... then moving towards San Sebastian (must see) you go past a couple of nice villages like Getaria (first man to complete the first circumnavigation of the world was from there, but apart from that it's a gorgeous little village) and Zarautz ... and then you go to San Sebastian which is like a pearl of the local coast – if you like to eat well, this is where you can really enjoy it! And then I would recommend to move towards Fuenterrabia – a beautiful place, amazing, must see. And maybe on the way there go up Jaizkibel – a mountain between San Sebastian and Fuenterrabia. Some incredible views from there…

well, enjoy your stay! :)

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

I would spend all of your time in San Sebastian. Maybe the last night in Bilbao.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

two days in bilbao, two days in San Sebastián...and time to visit the surroundings

Berlin, Germany
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

I would recommend staying for 2 days in Bilbao and 2 in San Sebastian and use those as your base. From Bilbao you can go to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe and then maybe check out one of the fishing villages near by like Bermeo. After 2 days in that area, head off towards San Sebastian and stop in Getarria, check out the beautiful town and try the Txakoli wine which is grown nearby. Then spend the rest of your time in San Sebastian and make two other short distance excursions to Hondarribia and to a Sagardotegi.

Here are some helpful links from Eusko Guide:

http://euskoguide.com/places_basque_country/

euskoguide.com/food_drink_basque_country/sag…

New York, NY
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

After our 4 days in Spain, my wife and I will be flying from Bilbao to Lison for three final days before returning to New York.

8. Re: 4 days in Basque Country - Please help me with my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:15