We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days to drive around Basque Country

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
9 days to drive around Basque Country

We are renting (and returning) a car in Bilbao, and spending our first night in San Sebastian. Other than that, nothing is planned. Can anyone recommend places that we shouldn't miss on either side of the border? We prefer smaller, older places to glitzy touristy places, if that helps. Thank you!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,621 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days to drive around Basque Country

Akorn:

With 9 days, I would spend 3 days in Bilbao because there is so much to see there. Read the top questions of the Bilbao forum.

You can do Getaria as a day trip from San Sebastian. Read the top questions in the Getaria forum.

I would stay at least 3 days in San Sebastian.

I also suggest 2 days in Vitoria.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days to drive around Basque Country

Thank you!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days to drive around Basque Country

In France I would visit Saint Jean de Luz, Biarritz and possibly some of the inland towns such as; Sare, Espelette and Saint Jean Pied de Port. These towns can also be combined with a drive over the Pyrenees back into Spain.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days to drive around Basque Country

Also, if you are into wine, I would recommend you to add la Rioja Alavesa to your itinerary. Within that region, the walled town of Laguardia is a must: euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/la-rioj…

los altos...
Level Contributor
471 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days to drive around Basque Country

Akorn,

We are soon leaving to spend 9 days in the Basque country. We are spending 3 days in Bilbao and 3 days in San Sebastian with no car, as recommended. However, we are renting a car for the 3 days in the French area. We will stay the first night in St. Jean de Luz, see some of the coast, then drive up through the small mountain towns, stay in St. Jean Pier de Port for 2 nights and then return the car in San Sebastian. While in St. Jean Pier de Port, we hope to hike a tiny portion of the "Way". Send me a PM if you have any questions. Sebina

6. Re: 9 days to drive around Basque Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:15