We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basque for the first time

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Basque for the first time

Hi I'm traveling to the Basque area of Spain for 10 days, never been before. Probably stay in 2 different areas. Which cities should I be looking at for a base? Have one daughter who loves the sea and one father who loves the little restaurants and mountains and one wife who loves to dance (a qualified Spanish dancer)

... any recommendations of places to stay/visit??

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basque for the first time

Base yourself in San Sebastian for a while, then either Vitoria or Pamplona and then move to Laguardia and RIoja Area.

You will love it

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basque for the first time

Thanks... what about the areas to the west... towards A Coruna, Pontevedra, Vigo?

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basque for the first time

That is nice too but it is not basque country. You can arrive in Galicia in one day of travel either by the coast road or the way san jaques.

los altos...
Level Contributor
462 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basque for the first time

We are going soon to the Basque Country for 9 days. We are spending 2 nights in a little mountain town - St. Pied de Port, France. Not far from Pamplona or St. Jean de Luz, France. Perhaps father would like this.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
3,569 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basque for the first time

Adrian:

My two favorite cities are Bilbao and San Sebastian. Bilbao is a city with very many things to see and San Sebastian has the Playa de la Concha, which for me is the most beautiful beach in Spain.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basque for the first time

You can´t miss Lekeitio, Getaria, Hondarribia and St Jean de Luz (this last one on the French side). Inland, the Rioja area, full of historical towns and famed wineries, is also a must. Dramatic change in landscape, traditions, language...but both Basque.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basque for the first time

San Sebastian has a great surfing beach too - Zurriola. It also has some of the best restaurants in the world and many, many pintxos bars.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basque for the first time

Just in case you pass through or come over to Cantabria, the coastal/mountainous region to the west of the Basque country, here would be my suggestions for each person:

Mum - 2 places one in and one near Santander which have regular swing/flamenco/lindyhop nights are:

https://www.facebook.com/desafinadowinejazz (regular Sunday salsa night with live band)

https://www.facebook.com/Blackbirdclub… (regular Wednesday night dance classes and dance party)

https://www.facebook.com/swingtander This is a great Santander based dance association which also organise events around the region

https://www.facebook.com/eltumbaomusic… This is the band who play at one of the abovementioned nights, and play elsewhere around the region and at fiestas

https:/… These guys are more of a Flamenco concert band, also very active around the region, and they also play at lots of fiestas

Daughter - loads of stunning beaches all along the Cantabrian coast, try Berria (Santoña), Trengandín (Noja), Sardinero (Santander), Valdearenas (Liencres), and the stunning coast road between Comillas and San Vicente de la Barquera, lined with the beautiful beaches of the Oyambre Natural Park, Dad'll be happy too here as there are fantastic views south towards the nearby Picos de Europa mountains from this road...you can surf in the sea with a snowy mountain backdrop at Playa de Merón.

Dad - Potes of course, the great draw of the Picos de Europa mountains, cable car at Fuente Dé, (and the typical local dish of mountain stew (Cocido Montañes or Cocido Liebañego, plus loads of yummy local cheeses) mountain architecture of Barcena Mayor in the Saja Natural Park (for traditional game in this hunting area, wild boar and venison), the stunning mountains of the Asón area, lovely Liérganes (great local breweries) and even lovelier Santillana del Mar (of course), and villages dotted around everywhere, try Dobres or Cucayo near Potes, or Vega de Pas in the Pas Valley for super yummy local specialties (Quesada, Sobaos), or the hidden village of Tresviso...if you can work out how to get there! (famous for blue cheese made in caves)...ok, Bejes could be another easier option for the yummy blue stuff!

Ok, I'll stop rambling...get some more inspiration and a little more rambling on my blog for Cantabria, the What's On calendar on there will also give you some more ideas of where all the flamenco/salsa stuff is happening whilst you're here: www.ratoncantabria.wordpress.com

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basque for the first time

Fantastic!!! thanks all and especially the great info from RatonCantabria!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basque for the first time

Looks like there is much to see in San Sebastian area and also Santander region. Should I have a base in each area or can I base myself in one and visit all the great areas described above from this base. Or are they too far apart?