We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

Which Bilbao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

In searching for dining options I am finding Michelin stared restaurants and pintxos bars. What I am looking for are 2 moderately priced, really good restaurants in Bilbao. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

I'd recommend 'ABAROA MUSEO' close to the Museo de Bellas Artes. It's a nice and reasonable priced restaurant that serves traditional Basque cooking.

new york
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

That's excellent. The concierge of our hotel just suggested that also but I couldn't find anything about it.

Have you heard of Gabarra, also near the Guggenheim?

Thanks again.

new york
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

That's excellent. The concierge of our hotel just suggested that also but I couldn't find anything about it.

Have you heard of Gabarra, also near the Guggenheim?

Thanks again.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

Gabarra is a well-known 'sidreria' (cider house) a bit more pricey but affordable. Basque atmosphere for having good 'chuleta' (grilled chop), besugo (sea bream), tortilla de bacalao (cod omelette)...

Try a Basque light wine called 'txakoli' and draught cider.

new york
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

I'm ready to go!!

Have you heard of Alona Berri in San Sebastian?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

I have no info on 'Alona Berri'.

In San Sebastian I loved 'Perus' at Aguitibidea 79. It's far from town center, at a mountain, but you'll find a terrace with a great sea view. Speciality: grilled fish. Closed on Monday.

new york
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

We'll have a car so I will check it out.

Have you driven from Bilbao to San Sebastion?

If yes, any sightseeing suggestions on route?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

I'll make a detour from the highway to Zumaia, Getaria, Zarautz and then to the highway again.

Those villages are charming and the coastal road is scenic.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

Hi Buzzby, you may well be back from your trip to theBasque Country at this stage. If not, I would highly recommend the following in San Sebastian (all are amazing value in my opinion). Most are pintxos bars but also have option for 'menu' which is an all inclusive meal usually 3 courses including a bottle of wine and water. Alona Berri, is on Calle Bermingham, over the bridge going away from the old town and La Concha beach. They do not have a menu but you can choose from many excellent small portions and great wine. Also recommend 'Ganbara' on Calle de San Geronimo (21). Menu was €29 in September. Another good one is Bar La Cepa (There is also a new Martin Berasategul restaurant in the Kursaal centre. Again very good prices for dinner in contemporary feel surroundings.Enjoy.

In Bilbao I had a very nice lunch upstairs in the Guggenheim.

10. Re: Help finding good, moderately priced restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 16:16