We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Holiday with easy access to Bilbao

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach Holiday with easy access to Bilbao

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Bilbao in August and would like to stay nearby in a beachy type resort with easy access to the city centre. We're looking for ANY advice on this so if you have a resort recommendation or a top hotel then it would be great if you could pass it on to us.

Many thanks guys!

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Holiday with easy access to Bilbao

Well...we don´t have resorts as such over here...our climate is very much like yours, so don´t expect any Mediterranean-like type of hotels.

The best way to get to the city centre is on the underground (metro). Getxo is just 10kms away from Bilbao, very well linked by metro, and there are hotels facing the beach. No swimming pool, though. I´d recommend Hotel Embarcadero or Hotel Igeretxe or Hotel Tamarises (facing the beach) or Hotel Artaza, close walk to the beach.

There are cozy hotels and rural houses in www.nekatur.net, check that webpage for excellent accommodation at unbeatable prices.

There are also some famiy run hotels by the beaches, obviously they are not beach resorts, but you may find them appealing...

bilbao
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Holiday with easy access to Bilbao

well it´s not a resort but see www.plentzia.org and www.hoteluribe.com .

Getaria Gipuzkoa
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Holiday with easy access to Bilbao

I Agree with Mikelq. I specially like the hotel Embarcadero: at the rivermouth of Ibaizabal - Bilbao. Igeretxe is on the beach, but is not the best beach of the area.

I am afraid you will not find typical beach resorts in the Basque Country, but some nice small hotels.

Some of them are gorgious! Some suggestions: www.castillodearteaga.com (small castle, close to Gernika, 5km inland) Emperatriz zita Hotel (on the beach Lekeitio), Saiaz Getaria Hotel www.saiazgetaria.com (on the beach Getaria)

Not so close from Bilbao, (Less than 1 hour from Bilbao by car) but better beaches, and nice surroundings.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay..

Do you agree Mikelq??

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Holiday with easy access to Bilbao

The places suggested by aitortxu are very fine places, perfect for couples, but maybe too far away from the city centre of Bilbao. It really depends on what you are looking for. These hotels have nothing to do with a beachy type resort (hey, this is the Basque country, not the Mediterranean), but rather picturesque places to stay in a cool, relaxed atmosphere, in beautiful fishing villages and close to the beach. "Easy access to the city centre" is kind of vague, it depends on your means of transport.