We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Hello, everyone.

We will be in Spain in February, arriving in Bilbao February 16 and leaving Bilbao February 26. This is our first trip to Europe.

When we fly in to Bilbao on Sunday the 16, we are just planning on getting to our hotel, resting, and having dinner near our hotel as we will be very tired from the long flight. Then, Monday the 17th, we will rent a car and drive to San Sebastian. We stay in San Sebastian from the 17-21, then drive to Elciego where we will stay until the 24th to explore La Rioja, and then drive back to Bilbao to stay the 24 and 25th.

We have the option of renting the car from the Hertz at the airport or the Hertz at the Plaza Pio. If we can't walk from our hotel to the rental car place, we are happy to take public transportation or a cab. Our guidebook says that driving in Bilbao is VERY difficult, so I am wondering which rental car location might be easiest for us to get in and out of and also I am wondering what time on Monday the 17th we should plan on picking up our rental car in order to hit the least traffic possible as we leave Bilbao and drive toward San Sebastian.

Thank you so much for any help!

Bilbao, Spain
Level Contributor
173 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Hi,

I suggest you to pick your car at Plaza Pio X on monday morning and leave it at the airport on your departure. On your arrival, you can use the public bus that connects the airport with Bilbao center (when leaving the airport terminal go to your right. Bus stop is at the end. Ticket cost is aprox 1,20 euros and you can buy it to the driver. There is place for luggage. Bus number is A3247 and there is a bus every 30 min). This bus has four stops at Bilbao, so if you tell us which hotel are you staying in, we could tell you where to leave the bus.

Hertz at Bilbao is located at Plaza Pio X, near a NH hotel. You can use the tram (leave it at Zubiarte and then cross the bridge) or the Metro (Stop at Deusto and use Lehendakari Aguirre exit. Follow straight and you will reach Plaza Pio X)

Driving in Bilbao can be difficult during the rush hours but most traffic is mainly to get in the city in the mornings and to leave it at evenings, so I think that if you pick your car at 10 AM you will be safe and you will be at San Sebastian by 12. From Plaza Pio X the easiest way to leave and get in the city is using Artxanda Tunnels (toll of 1,07 eu). Take airport way to leave the city and Deusto to get to Plaza Pio.

Enjoy!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,733 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

nm:

Get a rental car with GPS to make it easy to find locations.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Driving in Bilbao in and around Bilbao is extremely easy. It´s a small, manageable town, where distances are not relevant. Public transport is absolutely excellent and you can easily access any point in town by simply walking, as many people do. I would not worry about getting a car in Bilbao…think European and think “small and compact”.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Mike, we are only getting the car to when we leave Bilbao. We won't have a car while we are in the town. We really do want to have a car for our drive to San Sebastian and then to La Rioja so that we can explore some of the smaller villages long the way.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will get the car and the hotel reserved this weekend and I'm sure I will be back with more questions!

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

I would take a cab from the airport to the hotel and then the moring you want to leave bilbao either walk to the car rental or get another cab to the car rental for the luggage.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 20:38
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Okay, we are getting things finalized,.

We rented a car from Hertz Plaza Pio X.

We still need to book a hotel for our first night in Bilbao...which of the NH hotels is nearest Plaza Pio X?

Thanks so much!

Bilbao, Spain
Level Contributor
173 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Hi

the NH Deusto is around the corner. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187454-d232761…

Edited: 22 January 2014, 23:01
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

Thanks! Got our room booked at the NH Duesto.

9. Re: A few questions about the Bilbao leg of our Spain trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Bilbao