We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastian side trip - Bayonne or Biarritz ?

ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
San Sebastian side trip - Bayonne or Biarritz ?

Will be staying in San Sebastian for a few days in June and would like to make a day trip to France - looking at Bayonne and Biarritz - will be with my college age daughter -- will not have a car. Can anyone tell me which city is easier to visit without a car ?? Which city would you visit ? We like history, people and scenic views ... Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
873 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Sebastian side trip - Bayonne or Biarritz ?

Going on your preferences I would suggest Bayonne. Biarritz is not a patch on San Seb and is over priced. Bayonne is easy to walk around. Trains are fairly regular, go to station Amara in San Seb and take the Euskotren to Hendaye. From Hendaye take a French train to Bayonne, www.sncf.com The station in Bayonne is central, in Biarritz it is about 1-2 mile from the centre. Bayonne has great pedestrian streets for strolling and great cafes on the banks of the river for refreshments.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Sebastian side trip - Bayonne or Biarritz ?

There is bus service between Donostia and Biarritz and is very efficient, if not limited (www.pesa.net)

There is a 09:00 and 14:30 bus to Biarritz. The trip takes one hour.

The STAB bus service runs between Biarritz and Bayonne.

Bayonne buses stop at Biarritz La Négresse railway station.

The TOPO, the commuter Rail, runs between San Sebastian-Donostia and the train station in Hendaye. I would take the local bus into Biarritz or Bayonne, but as already mentioned, the train is good option.

www.euskotren.es/english/transporte/06.html

3. Re: San Sebastian side trip - Bayonne or Biarritz ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 04:20