We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near the Maria Cristina

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near the Maria Cristina

We are considering staying at the Maria Cristina on Starwood points. They have a public paarking lot next door to the hotel that seems very expensive, 21€ +16% VAT per day for parking. We will have our car and would like to park it and leave it for the time we are in San Sebastian. Are there other lots in the vicinty of the . hotel that would be less espensive? We don't mind walking 10 minutes or so from the parking lot back to the hotel. Thank you

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

Most parkings are managed by same enterprise. I used down hotel amara plaza once and they charged 18-19 € per day. That´s about 10-15 minutes walk. Enjoy our city

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

If you insist on having a car in the city, then paying for parking if part of the expense. There are no less expensive parking garages in the city that I am aware of.

If you are planning on staying more than 3 days, then drop off the rental car when you arrive and arrange to pick up a new one when you leave. Driving in the city can be a headache and there is no street parking.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

Robert, Yes, I "insist" upon having a car given that our time in SS is part of a much longer stay in Spain where we are driving ourselves around parts of Spain. Where I live as well as in many cities where I have travelled there is often a price differnce in varius parking garges/lots. Sometimes one can even find free parking right outside a city. That was what I was aksing about.

Thanks, Luix

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

I'm sorry, but you'll find that parking is at a premium just about anywhere you go in Spain. We generally stay outside of the city, where we can park for free, and drive in for the day. If you where staying at Villa Soro, then parking would be provided free of charge. We usually stay in the country, near Hondarribia, or along the coast, west of Donostia, and drive in for lunch.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

Robert -- Villa Sorro looks great, but a bit outside ourprice range. We're using Starwood points at the Maria Cristina. Staying outside the town has occurred to us. Could you pls give me an idea of what traffic is like in SS?

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

21 euros a day sounds cheap for San Sebastian. Stay at the Maria Christina, it's a nice location.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

Traffic can be heavy at times, but not that bad. It's the number of one-way streets and construction detours that can cause problems. Parking on the street is always a pain.

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

The only problem in SS is at certain times of the day. Is not worse than I saw in Madrid, Barcelona or any other big city. This is a 180 thousand citicens city, and traffic is like big ones, so people gets mad thinking that it might not happen here. Parking in town for free is only available far from city center, so if you want to get there by car and leave it, close from the hotel that´s the only chance, all parkings have same price.

Free parking only at Benta Berri, very good area with quite whealthy people. Buses go very frequently to city center (every 5 minutes aprox)

If you want to do this, go to your hotel, do check in and leave stuff, go to Benta Berri by car and come back walking, you will do all the bay with a lovely walk (2,5 km)

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

Thanks-- that sounds like a good possibity of free parking in Benta Berri. Could you please give me some street names or sites so i can google map it? thank you for your help

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking near the Maria Cristina

Plaza Jose Maria Sert (write sert in your tom tom or whatever you use) and Resurrección María de Azkue (write Azkue), anyway benta berri in google maps is ok.

Remember (I think like most cities) white lines are good for parking, and here surface payment ones are blue.

Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...