We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

I am planning to come to SS from Bordeaux and have been looking at train options. I'm in the US so the TGV site wants to point me to raileurope. Raileurope shows one option from Bordeaux to SS - with connection in Irun.

If I instead look at trains from Bordeaux to Hendaye, suddenly I get lots of options.

If I took the TGV to Hendaye, how would I get to SS? I've read that Euskotren is an option from Irun...is it also from Hendaye? Does it pickup at the same station as where the TGV would drop me off? Where does the Euskotren drop off in SS?

I'm thinking of staying at Astoria 7. Don't know where that is relative to the train station(s).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

There are many more trains to Hendaye from Bordeaux as that is the principal west coast route for the SNCF trains. Crossing the border changes things, as the two train networks (SNCF and RENFE) run on different gauges, so there are no through trains without a change in Irun. They are, as you said, connected by the Euskotren though (which has nothing to do with RENFE or SNCF).

Check out the Euskotren website: www.euskotren.es There is a train from Hendaye to SS direct with them, better known as El Topo. The Euskotren station in Hendaye is just to the west side of the SNCF station, literally in the same car park as the main SNCF station (for the TGV). It is basically just one small long platform, separate from the main station in the west of the car park. There are Topo trains from there every 10 and 40 minutes past the hour (1.60 single) to Amara station in San Sebastian (on the west side of the river near the modern town centre).

For maps of the stations see:

Amara (SS): wikimapia.org/1981379/…B3n-de-Amara-EuskoTren

Hendaye (Topo): wikimapia.org/1425800/es/Estaci%C3%B3n-de-He…

For timetables of the Topo, see: http://www.euskotren.es/es/horarios

And for route maps: http://www.euskotren.es/es/node/734

I would buy your ticket Bordeaux-Hendaye through Raileurope, they are very good, and then get your Topo ticket on the train itself, no need (and not possible) to book in advance.

As for the hotel, it is literally just 3 blocks or so south of Amara station (pretty much on the same road), one of the closest to it, so that is the perfect choice!

Hope that's helpful!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

It looks like the trains from Bordeaux to Hendaye also go to Irun. Is it preferable to get off at Irun? Is the connection to Euskotren as convenient as it is at the Hendaye station?

I was just thinking there may be more options from Irun to SS than from Hendaye...but perhaps that is not true.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

Hi Adamhach,

The connection between Irun (Renfe) and Euskotren is about 100metres apart. It is much easier to change at Hendaye where the Euskotren station is about 20 metres away.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

Yup, davjoh is right, Hendaye is easier and more convenient, Irun is more complicated and further away. There are Topos so often from Hendaye (all of which pass through Irun) I don't think you need to worry about there being more options.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

Thanks again - really good info. Very much appreciated.

6. Re: Traveling to San Sebastian by train from Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...