We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Amsterdam
8 posts
Save Topic
San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Hi there,

Me and 5 friends are planning a trip to San Sebastian this summer (august). However, we were wondering whether this would be fun for people in our age category. We are with 5 18-year old and 1 17-year old. Last year we went to Biarritz and in the clubs and disco's over there all the people where 25 years and older. Not so much fun for us. We are not looking for a Salou-Chersonissos-Llorret de Mar kind of area, but some more people (girls) of our age-category would be nice. Is that the case in San Sebastian? Is the nightlife ok for us?

Thanks for your help!

Getaria Gipuzkoa
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

San Sebastian can be a good place for "older" people. Depending on your budget, you can camp at Zarautz, and have fun around there. It is very popular for young people, surfing, beach, active nightlive,...

If you are in San Sebastian, go there for a couple of days, you will enjoy it.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Yeah, in summer there is a big surfing scene in San Sebastian, popular with backpackers, but also popular with older people from Madrid and the rest of Spain, so a mix really. My advice would be to get yourselves into a hostel in SS, and there you'll meet young people who will be able to tell you where to go and probably invite you along. You could also try doing some surfing lessons or similar to meet other people, the surf schools could surely recommend you places to go out too. Try facebook too, there'll be groups on there for San Sebastian.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 09:46
Amsterdam
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Thanks for the replies!

We've already lookedy Zarautz up and that is not really what we are looking for. We prefer something bigger and with more nightlife (clubs). Also camping is'nt really our thing. Our budget is quite ok so we are looking for a appartment.

But in San Sebastian there are enough people of our age category (in the nightlife) to get to know?

And about surfing, taking lessons could be an option. Can you surf on playa de la concha?

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Hi, surfing is at Zurriola beach. During august we celebrate Semana Grande festival with different concerts everyday for youngs, olders, etc. In old town we have 200 bars and restaurants, all type of musics and if you are 18 years old there is no problem, main problema might be in discos, control acces up 18 years old, youngest and most popular is Bataplan with local resident DJ.

Very important, here we go out much earlier than in many areas of Spain. Young people meets after 10 pm in advance, but 1am or 2am (like in Mediterranean coast) might be bit late. Bars close at 3am.

Most popular bars in old town for tourist are Mendaur, Tas Tas, Txurrut, Kronos, Arkaitzpe. Mendaur, Bataplan disco at least have Facebook.

You can also visit back of the cathedral, Reyes Catolicos, almost locals, Pubs The Place and Splash (I think).

Surfers and alternative meeting point in Sagúes, right side of Zurriola beach.

Hope this is enough for you.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

I think there will be lots of very good looking 18 year old girls in san Sebastian in August.

Amsterdam
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Sounds good ;)

Thanks for the advice, guys!

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

You basically want to go to the old part for bars and nightlife. Reyes Catolicos is a great area too but tends to be a slightly older crowd. I was out this weekend and it was packed until five in the morning with loads of people spilling out into the streets. Things start a little later here, so you probably need to be going out about 11/midnight before the older people start going home. There are smaller disco-pubs in the old town, you'll get given flyers from guys in the street. The main disco is Bataplan, which is on la concha beach. Otherwise, most people get a taxi to discos such as Young Play.

So yeah, there's loads going on and options here for people your age.

PintxoBoy

pintxosboyinsansebastian.wordpress.com/

Amsterdam
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Thanks!

We have booked our trip! Going from 15 August till 24 august! I believe that in that period la semana grande takes place, am i right? Is it fun? Is there a program for this years edition available? I couldnt find anything on the internet!

Edited: 05 May 2011, 23:52
San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

PIntxoboy, Young Play disco is closed since .... ;) The rest of your advice is very good.

Amsterdam10 the Semana Grande program is usually available at the end of July or August first dates. This year begins on August 13th and ends on August 20th. Main dates are boht saturdays and the 14th. I think you will enjoy it but some people thinks this city is a bit boring. It would be nice if you tell your experience after as a visitor.

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Sebastian for 18 year olds.

Showing my age there then! Its always closed when I drive past it! But that's at 2 in the afternoon not 2 in the morning!

There's a lot happening oin the big week. There are free concerts on la zurriola beach at about 23.30 at night from well known national bands. The fireworks display is also really, really great, whach starts at about 22.45. You'll pick up a programme nearer the time on sansebastianturismo.com. You'll just find the place buzzing at that time so it's a great time to come.

Also, if you haven't already, get your accommodation sorted. It's packed at that time of year.

PintxoBoy

pintxosboyinsansebastian.wordpress.com/

Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...