We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Stein

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Stein

Did any one see the RS programe last week based on Northern Spain. For those familiar with this area was it a fair reflection of San Seb and the area as a whole or was it over egged for the TV.

berkshire uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Stein

Hi, I enjoyed the program and it looks like he will be turning the spotlight on the lesser known area's of Spain. I would say that if anything he barely touched upon San Sebastian itself....having visited on several occasions I cannot recommend a visit highly enough.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Stein

oh yes we watched it...and thats why we are here looking now !!!! prob with quite a lot of others.....!!!! but ????? where do we start ?????

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Stein

I finally saw this yesterday, and it was an interesting watch! Lots of squeals from my Spanish fiancee of "that's not Spanish!" and "you don't do it like that", but in general a great programme we thought, despite missing some crucial local foods (where was the octopus in Galicia?!)! Certainly great promotion for northern Spain. And was he over enthusiastic? Well I think not when it comes to SS, in fact, he could of gone on for hours I'm sure! It is a wonderful city, the food is just fabulous, although don't expect to see the men's associations like he did, that's not such a public touristy affair. But the tapas and food and atmosphere is just fantastic!

For others who might be interested in watching this, we found it on Youtube in 4 parts, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyrxwN-ESE this was the first part, and the others appear with that. SS was in part 4.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Stein

We have been thinking of visiting Spain next year too . Want to go off the beaten track and see the "real parts". This programme has just confirmed it for us.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Stein

What a great show, thanks for posting. We don't have him in the States, he should be on netflix. We have Rick Steves, he does his homework but boring. I would have to say he barely touched on how nice San Sebastian is. I hope it doesn't become too crowded and touristy in the future like Barcelona.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Stein

Scouse, for off the beaten path, you may want to take a look at my blog as a local, www.blogseitb.us/basquetourism

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick Stein

For me the show was very poor.

He managed a few errors. One shot was going past a monastery in Galicia which was very near to Santiago. It is over an hour away. He drove past some plants in his “campy” say they were Grellos. They were Cole.

When he was in SS eating with the fishermen. He said they were eating fish throats, but were they not checks?

Did you notice that he mainly stuck with expats?

I will not be watching any more.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick Stein

Kokotxas are fish throats, he was right there, and they are delicious! I agree though, some inaccuracies, but I thought it was still good for the north of Spain to have some exposure in the UK, just look at the posts here, it will have helped tourism no doubt, and maybe encourage people to come and have an explore. Though Cantabria did fairly poorly out of it though I have to say! But great for SS and Asturias, so good on them!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick Stein

I cannot speak/read Euskara so I used Google to translate. This article says chin rather than throat.

http://eu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legatz_kokotsak

The word in Spanish is Cococha

www.wordreference.com/definicion/cococha

Perhaps mikelg can tell us more? It is not so clear on line.

Edited: 24 July 2011, 12:04
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rick Stein

Yup, in basque they are Kokotxas, but in Spanish Cocochas, certainly in Cantabria you can find them on restaurant menus in either way. I would say that the throat and chin of a fish...well it's a fish, is there much difference? Does a fish really have a chin? I am certainly no expert on fish anatomy! I had seen the wikipedia too I must say.

Anyway, whatever they're called and whatever part they are, they are certainly very nice and delicate to eat, and I would recommend everyone to go out and try them, Rick Stein was certainly right about that.