We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

NYC
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

Hi, Everyone

I will be going to San Sebastian, Bilboa and possibly Pamplona Sept 23-27. Can you please suggest where would you think is the best area and is centrally located to stay? I would prefer not to change hotels every night unless necessary. Unless, of course it's a must stay boutique hotel.

Thank you all for your help!

Venice

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

In which city do you want to stay? With only four days, you'd probably be best off staying in San Sebastian, but since the International Film Festival will be in full swing on the 23rd and 24th, so finding a place, especially a "must stay" boutique hotel will be very difficult.

If you stay in Bilbao (not Bilboa), or Pamplona, you can take the bus to and from San Sebastian-Donostia. It's a one-hour trip from Pamplona or Bilbao to San Sebastian, and a little over a two-hour trip from Pamplona to Bilbao, easy day trips.

As far as accommodations go, you might want to read Maribel's Guide to the País Vasco (www.maribelsguides.com). She covers several good options.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 01:24
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

San Sebastian is the best place to stay.

NYC
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

Robert2533, Oops, sorry about the misspelling. Thanks for the warning on bookings. After I read your post, I quickly check some places and they were booked. I will definitely have to finalize a place in the next couple of days.

I will be visiting Bilbao (spell check :)), San Sebastian, and Pamplona or some surrounding villages another knowledgeable TA poster recommended. So I'm trying to figure out from these few places the best area to stay. I'm hearing San Sebastian. So, I'll be focusing on booking there. If you think of another place or chic place to stay please feel free to post.

CuthbertJ, Thanks for responding. San Sebastian seems to be the place. Any recommendations on cool and chic hotels?

Venice

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

If you have a car, then you could consider staying at the Hotel Iturregi in Getaria (www.hoteliturregi.com/). Perfect getaway!

Otherwise I would stay at the truly "cool and chic" Hotel Palacio Guendulain (www.palacioguendulain.com/) in Pamplona, enjoy the city and the great pintxos and do day trips to Donostia and Bilbao.

NYC
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

robert2533,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I will have a car. I checked Hotel Iturregi and they were booked. Since we will be driving I am also looking at places at bit further. Do you know if traffic is bad driving in and out of San Sebastian, like to say Bilbao or Pamplona?

Venice

6. Re: Suggestion on a hotel near San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...