We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Bilbao

Clare Valley...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Bilbao

Is this doeable from San Sebastian. We want to visit the Guggenheim - but I don't like just overnighting in place (hate packing those suitcases) so I thought we could base ourselves in SS and just do a day trip to Bilbao - by bus?

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

sure it is doable

bus is 15.ish E each way and takes about an hour

do the museum earlier then walk around Bilbaos old quarter for a bite to eat before heading back

I am def doing a day trip to Pamplona this year and will take near the same time on the road

nice to sit back and let someone else do the driving too

:)

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
386 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

Hi Demon,

Definetly is a good idea to go to Bilbao for one day, you can take the bus early in the morning and come back at night, they have buses from central station from 6.30 in the morning until 10pm.

You can check the schedule on this website www.pesa.net

If you need accomodation in San Sebastián you can check on tripadvisor vacation rentals and also at flipkey.

Have fun on your trip,

Astrid in FeelFreeRentals.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

We're taking a day trip from San Sebastian to visit the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. It appears the the Pesa bus will get us to the city center. Once there doe we take a cab? Are there other alternatives? Help is greatly appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

You can take the Euskotran.

…bilbao.net/bilbaoturismo/…mciudad2.htm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

The Euskotran, from Amara station in San Sebastian-Donostia to Bilbao, follows along the coast to Deba, where in heads inland, following the highway. It's an interesting trip and cheap enough (€9/round trip) if you want to see part of the coastal region, but the trip takes twice as long as the bus, as the bus is non-stop.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

Tran, tram, tren.. I get them mixed up.

SteveandSue, here's a Google map showing you a way by public transportation from the Termibus station in Bilbao to the Guggenheim museum stop. Approximately 11 min.

http://g.co/maps/m97fa

By Euskotren.

http://www.euskotren.es/eu/tranvia-bilbao

Edited: 03 May 2012, 02:19
Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

Alternatively you can take the subway to Moyua and walk about 5-10 minutes to the Guggenheim. It's a lovlier approach as you can see "Puppy" first appearing as you get closer. The subway system is also well designed and the entranceways a sight in themselves.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

We took the bus and then got on the subway to the "googy", then we got off and had to ask someone to point us in the direction. I think if we had had a map it would have been much easier. A cab is probably the easiest. I would also have lunch at the restaurant in the museum, really good modern Basque food for a very reasonable price. Then you can walk around the museum on a full stomach. The owner of our hostal gave us that tip and it was really a good idea.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

Thank you for your reply. We'll go with the cab. Eating at the museum sounds like a good tip too. It'll be fun!

10. Re: Day Trip to Bilbao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:40
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...