We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to San Sebastian

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to San Sebastian

Hi,

I asked last week about San Sebastian as a place for our honeymoon and I got some great info and replies. I have been looking at it more and more and I am so interested!

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice about how to actually get there? I am from Lancashire so I could travel from any north western england airports easily but would consider other airports if it made things easier.

Thanks in advance

Kathryn

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

Bilbao is the logical option, 100 kms west of SS and well communicated by a highway.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

If you're happy to fly budget you can fly Manchester to Bilbao with easyJet, I'm sure there are other options too if you don't want to fly budget though. As mikelg said, Bilbao is well connected to SS by motorway and by direct bus from the airport to SS too. It's about an hour trip by road.

Your other option is to fly budget with Ryanair from Manchester to Biarritz, which is also close to SS too. These flights don't run all year though.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

Hi we recently used Easyjet from Manchester into Bilbao. The bus to SS parks right outside the small airport terminal is comfortable and prompt.

I considered car hire but for a weeks stay you can walk SS and use buses to get to the nearby towns if you wish.

Whilst you buy the ticket from the driver at the airport you do need to buy one from the shop/office when returning from SS just bare this in mind as we nearly missed the bus thinking we could pay the driver on the way back. Transfer time just over 1 hour. Taxi available at bus station in SS for transfer to hotel.

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
386 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

Hi,

you have 2 options bilbao and biarritz, both have low cost flights as it is said before but i would recomend you bilbao.

Alsa is a company that has many buses from Bilbao city and also the airport (loiu), you can check the schedule on their website. They also have a bus to Biarritz airport but it is only once a day so you can take a look and if it fits with your flight cool but if not i dont think it is a good idea to flight to Biarritz if you dont have any car. You have to take a bus to Biarritz city, then a train to Hendaye and finally another train to san sebastian so it could take too long.

In San Sebastian you wont need a car cuz they have many buses in the city and also to go to Bilbao to spend the day or to visit another villages.

Greetings,

Astrid at Feelfree Rentals.

nj
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

Bring ur umbrella google northern spain weather

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

Bilbao - San Sebastian buses www.pesa.net www.alsa.es

7. Re: Travelling to San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...