We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basque region itinerary

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Basque region itinerary

A group of 8 of us (all early 60's and fit) are traveling to Spain in September. Each couple has the task of planning activities etc. for 3-4 days. I am responsible for the Basque Region. Our trip most likely will be Barcelona, Basque Country, Madrid, and finally Madeira Portugal. I am seeking suggestions for my part of the itinerary. To help I will say we all enjoy hiking, sightseeing, great food and wine! If you would please offer suggestions as to where to stay that is most central (we would rather stay in one place for 3-4 days and plan trips from that location and then move on), what to do, and what to see.

Thanks in advance for all of your ideas/suggestions!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basque region itinerary

We just got back from Bilbao and San Sebastian and I think both cities are worthy of your itinerary.

Bilbao - half day at Guggenheim and half day walking around the old town area. Both involve a bit of walking but not difficult and both very interesting. There is a church at the center of old town, which is just lovely and when you are done, go on a Pinxto Bar hopping excursion, there are plenty to choose from and a fun experience.

San Sebastian- half day hiking up Mount Urgul to see really picturesque and panoramic views of the city, beaches etc. as well finding a little tiny bar about 3/4 way up the hill. It sits on one of the ramparts overlooking the bay and serves beer. Very fun.

Also try a half day in old town as there are even more Pinxto Bars than Bilbao (and better) and a few churches that will amaze you. Of course, you could always spend a half day at the beach as well. We opted to sit at the cafe overlooking the surfer beach and had a very enjoyable few hours just watching the sufers and sipping sangria.

Hope this helps.

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basque region itinerary

But take into account that sangría in the Basque Country is just made for tourists...us locals rarely have it, and less in a bar.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basque region itinerary

Stay in San Sebastian and enjoy it. If you get a nice day take the train to Zarautz, walk along the ocean to Getaria (half hour) have lunch and get on the bus back to San Sebastian.

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basque region itinerary

Yes this helps. Still planning our trip for September 2013. Most likely going to stay in San Sebastián for our 4 nights and travel out from there each day. Can you recommend lodging?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,998 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basque region itinerary

There are plenty of accommodation options in San Sebastian. So you need to be more specific about what you want.

-Hotel or apartment

-Budget

-Whether you will have a vehicle for your excursions

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basque region itinerary

Our group of 8 will NOT have a car. We will most likely be taking a train from Barcelona to San Sebastián on the morning of September 2. Our group would prefer lodging in a hotel or pension. Really would love to stay at Bella Artes but the owner said they were already booked 9/2 through 9/5.

Any suggestions?

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basque region itinerary

Check enjoyrentals.com and friendlyrentals.com among others. We're spending a couple weeks in SS and Bilbao in May. Got a beautiful apartment with a huge balcony overlooking Zurriola beach in the former city and an amazing penthouse with a 360 balcony overlooking the Guggenheim in the latter. The hotels in both places look fantastic (Londres and Maria Cristina in SS, several in the area of the Guggenheim). But we're opting for the rental route this trip.

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basque region itinerary

Thanks for the info. I will check those sites out. We will most likely spend our 4 nights in SS and use it ad our bade to travel from. I would like to pick your brain some more after your trip in May.

What activities do you have planned thus far?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basque region itinerary

Pension Itxasoa faces the ocean in the Parte Vieja. There's no air con but in Sept you won't need it. It's not a fancy place but the location is excellent.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187457-d237020…

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Bernardo and loved it. It's in the centre of the Parte Vieja and the rooms have their own a/c. If you open the window, you'll hear all the noise from the street below (typical of this popular area). If you're a light sleeper, it's probably best to close the window and turn on the fan.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187457-d154…

In the past, we stayed at a really nice apt in Gros.

friendlyrentals.com/en/…apartment-842-5.htm

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basque region itinerary

Thanks for the info. I will check those sites out. We will most likely spend our 4 nights in SS and use it ad our bade to travel from. I would like to pick your brain some more after your trip in May.

What activities do you have planned thus far?

Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian...