We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

Which San Sebastian - Donostia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

We'll be visiting San Sebastian and several coastal and mt. towns west of there all the way to Aviles and Oviedo in Asturias. After that, we'll head south to Andalusia where I'm sure it will be pretty warm.. Trying not to bring too much but am wondering if we should bring sweatshirts and/or long sleeved shirts an long pants? I guess an umbrella is wise, for sure.

Thanks for any replies.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

mlbcruiser:

I think that a light jacket is all you need. A small foldable umbrella will be good to have.

However if you go up the mountains in the Picos de Europa, you will need an extra sweater beside a jacket because it may be cold.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

Thanks, Benny. We are hoping to spend at least some time in the mts.\

So much to see; so little time!

San Sebastian...
Level Contributor
386 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

Hi,

Even if you don't go to the mountians, sometimees it can get pretty chily at night time up in the north of Spain. I would recommend a nice autumn jacket/ jumper and long trousers of course.

Feelfree Rentals Team

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

FeelFreeRentals Team, sounds a bit like some places in California (San Francisco area comes to mind. Man, we almost froze one evening in JUNE!) I think I am going to bring an unlined fleece jacket and long pants for sure. The dampness probably has something to do w/this, I'd guess, too.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

mlb:

Mark Twain is supposed to have said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

I used to live in San Jose and we would go to San Francisco often. During summer we would see tourists arrive in their T-shirts and shorts at Union Square. They would freeze and rush to the tourist stores to buy some warm clothing.

We would always bring warm clothing and place it in the trunk of our car because we would not know what the weather would be that day until we reached San Francisco.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

So Benny, would you say that the weather in San Sebastian in late Aug/early Sept. ( & areas along the northern coast of Spain) is a lot like SF's summer weather? (Well, maybe a bit less sunny as SF is usually very sunny in the afternoons after the fog lifts.)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,101 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

mlbcruiser,

I used to live in San Francisco and I was in San Sebastian (and other Basque areas) this past July. They have had a lot of rainy weather this year and I was very surprised to be in 15 degree weather! There were some days that I wished I had a long-sleeve shirt.

Apart from the great quote attributed to Mark Twain (which turns out to be a falsehood, Benny), another phrase I often use is : Dress in layers. :-)

Edited: 08 August 2012, 11:55
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

Gigi's mum, I sure hope you meant 15 degrees C! Layers is, no doubt, the right idea. One problem we are having is we are doing a cruise out of Barcelona at the end of our trip and packing for that, PLUS both hot and coolish weather, and keeping the suitcase weight down is a problem. Everything from beach to formal wear to wet/chilly & cool to sunny/hot weather must be planned for. We usually can stuff our gym bag carryons w/heavy things, but we'll have a leg within Spain on a local airline that has stricter size/wt. limits for carryons than we are used to when flying U.S. airlines. And hearing from people who tell me how they do NOT bring this or that, or how they only bring 2 pr.of shoes for their whole 3 wk. trip will NOT help me at all! I am not Rick Steves so do not own a blue shirt that I can wear every single day! Still, I will have to work within the rules and will not ever bring so much to cause me to have to pay for overwt. luggage!

Thanks for the advice and I plan to try to do that when I need to keep warm!

Bilbao, Spain
Level Contributor
173 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

Hi mlbcruiser,

the problem is that the weather in the north of spain is not a sure thing. Right now we are in the middle of a heat wave with nearly 40 ºC temperatures but last week it was raining! I think that long trousers and maybe a long sleeve shirt is enough because the normal temperature at night is around 15 to 20 ºC in Bilbao and San Sebastian.

Hope this helps with your decission. Have a nice trip.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we need clothing for coolish weather at end of Aug?

Thanks, Javier. Good advice, I'm sure. That's the thing about weather . . . One never knows for sure & it can change so quickly! . It's just nice to be as prepared as possible. I remember my first time on the beautiful island of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. It was in May. Should have been very warm and sunny, with - at most - a short, spot rain shower. Instead it was dreary, drizzly and chilly all day!