We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

Hi,

My friend and I are two girls in our 20s and are trying to figure out the best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian. We have had a suggestion to fly from Paris to Biarritz and get driven to San Sebastian or the option of a train to hendaye then onto San Sebastian.

We want the best time efficient and cost efficient way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

You can fly down to Biarritz and then get the train to Hendaye and onwards to San Sebastian but to be honest you're probably better getting the train from Paris to Hendaye and then onwards (the local trains are a short walk from the TGV platform at Hendaye). By the time you've factored in all the flaffing about getting to/from airports etc. the journey by train will be easier and more relaxing.

The TGV fares can be surprisingly low if you purchase in advance too! Have a nice train-picnic and arrive relaxed and refreshed!

Have a good look at the excellent Man in Seat 61 website for all things train in Europe:

www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm#Paris & France

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

Hi Kate

We too have had to sort this out recently ourselves, for travel at the end of June. The train is cost efficient, certainly but checking the times it was an early start and 8 or so hours on the train from Paris to Hendaye.

Then the transfer into San Seb following that to arrive mid to late afternoon.

The other option (and the one we ended up choosing) is a mid morning flight from Orly to Biarritz on Air France. They have some great sale fares on at the moment as they are trying to promote their short haul flights. Off the top of my head, including checked baggage it ended up around 65 Euro per person (just less than $100 AUD).

We arrive in Biarritz at lunch time, so we intend wandering around for a couple of hours, having a bite to eat, before getting the bus from The airport into San Sebastián. Not too long a trip, and we should arrive in the afternoon, ready for a nice night out in SS.

A lot of these details were suggested on this forum, so I am great full for the assistance.

Even though the arrival time is about the same for bot options, the actual travel time is considerably shorter. Unless you like train travel and are happy for that longish trip.

I'm sure there are other options out there, but this one seems to work for us. We will have to wait and see the outcome though!

Enjoy.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

If you were to fly into Biarritz airport then there is one bus a day that goes from the airport to San Sebastian. Last year it left at 15:30 but not sure if it will bethe same this year.

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

Hi !

I enjoyed a great four days in Paris last year. I booked ahead with Vueling and paid less than 70 € roundtrip from Bilbao . Orly . Bilbao. This included the extra fees for added luggage etc . I chose Bilbao over Biarritz as the coach to San Sebastian is very frequent from Bilbao airport and only 16€ each way. It didnt matter what time my flight was there was always an easy connection and the coach takes just over an hour

Just wanted to give you another option. I am def booking another paris detour next trip to San Sebastian

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

Hi !

I enjoyed a great four days in Paris last year. I booked ahead with Vueling and paid less than 70 € roundtrip from Bilbao . Orly . Bilbao. This included the extra fees for added luggage etc . I chose Bilbao over Biarritz as the coach to San Sebastian is very frequent from Bilbao airport and only 16€ each way. It didnt matter what time my flight was there was always an easy connection and the coach takes just over an hour

Just wanted to give you another option. I am def booking another paris detour next trip to San Sebastian

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

We are flying Paris to Madrid to San Sebastian on AF and Nostrum, Nostrum flies to SS from Madrid.

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

Thanks for your help everyone. We will look in to those options. All were very helpful!

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

There is another way (not sure whether it's the best). Overnight Trenhotel train from Paris-Austerlitz (leaves @6pm direction: Madrid) that stops at Vitoria/Gasteiz @4:30am. First bus from VG to SS is @5:45am arriving SS @7am. If interested for train info & purchase check renfe.com (min price is 74euro in 4 person compartment) & www.pesa.net - for bus.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

You can fly Paris to Bilbao www.vueling.com

Bus Bilbao to San Sebastian www.pesa.net

www.sansebastianturismo.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

10. Re: Best way to get from Paris to San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:16